[Peace-discuss] Misrepresenting veterans

C. G. ESTABROOK cge at shout.net
Mon Nov 21 22:54:10 CST 2011

David--

As I have mentioned to you several times, I am no advocate for Rep.
Johnson, having once run against him for the office he now holds. I
deplore his votes for austerity.

He is nevertheless one of the few consistent votes against war in the
House of Representatives.

I note you avoid answering my questions: you condemn him for voting
against war-funding bills.  Do you think he should have voted for them?

Johnson certainly should be asked why he voted for HR 1 on 19 Feb.
2011; my suspicion is that he did so because it includes
appropriations for "Agriculture, Rural Development, Food And Drug
Administration, And Related Agencies" - matters of great interest in
his district.  And he should be asked about his votes on matters of
interest to veterans; in some cases if not in all his motive is quite
clear: he's voting against money for war in the Mideast.

If you want to know the politics of "Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of
America," I suggest you read their statements and examine their board
of directors. (I would think you would do so before quoting their
tendentious "report card.")  You will find that they are not neo-
conservatives as you suggest but right-wing ("Realist") Democrats;
their position is that of the current administration, which was
elected by pretending to be anti-war - "largely non-ideological."  Of
course that was a lie - with his drone strikes, attacks in new
countries, and the murder of American citizens, Obama has shown
himself to be simply more brutal and efficient in killing people than
his predecessor.

IAVA's board of directors includes several Wall Street investment
bankers and the president emeritus of the Council on Foreign
Relations, Les Gelb (whose name leads all the rest), a long-time
Pentagon and State Department apparatchik who, during the 2011
Egyptian protests against President Hosni Mubarak, was regarded as
"the Egyptian dictator's freelance spokesman in America." (I assume
that the Democrat-oriented IAVA was the source of a similar misleading
attack on Rep. Johnson by his perennial opponent David Gill: Gill
continues to avoid undue candor about his own position on the war.)

Leslie Gelb of the CFR and the "progressive" pro-war group National
Security Network is also the central figure in another Astroturf (fake
grass-roots) Democrat pro-war group, "VoteVets.org" - also well-
funded, presumably with money from Democratic party backers like the
late unlamented "Americans Against Escalation in Iraq." Founded in
2006, VoteVets.org was an active participant in the successful effort
by Democrats to co-opt the antiwar movement. They supported the
expansion of the war: see their press release on the day of Obama's
announcement of his escalation of the war in Afghanistan: <http://www.votevets.org/news/?id=0190
 >. Their Board of Advisers has included war-supporters like Tammy
Duckworth, whom Rahm Emanuel used to destroy an authentic anti-war
Democrat in an IL congressional election in 2006; former Sen. Bob
Kerry; Lawrence Korb of the Reagan DOD; et al. IAVA seems to be the
same thing, with a slightly deeper cover.

Your defensiveness seems to me to have little to do with the question
of what should be done to promote "Immediate Withdrawal of Occupying
Troops from Iraq and Afghanistan," which you assert you favor.
Citizens from this area vote for four officers of the federal
government - Rep. Johnson, Sen. Durbin, Sen. Clark, and Pres. Obama:
three of them oppose "Immediate Withdrawal of Occupying Troops from
Iraq and Afghanistan"; one supports it - and you have chosen him, not
the others, to demonstrate against. I assumed that you were misled,
given the source of the "report card" you quoted.

--CGE