[Peace-discuss] Fwd: The Meaning of Thanksgiving...

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Nov 23 20:31:17 CST 2011

[Selections from a sermon, for Thanksgiving; "passenger" in 17th
century English means "emigrant."]

ABRAHAM THE PASSENGER, HIS PRIVILEGE AND DUTY
described in an election-sermon at Boston N.E. May 30, 1705
by Joseph Estabrook, A.M., and pastor of the Church of Christ at Concord

Gen. 12:2, "And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless
thee
         and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing."

When the world was deeply immersed in idolatry, God was pleased from
his sovereign pleasure to call some out of darkness into his marvelous
light, shedding down upon them the saving and regenerating influences
of his spirit, whereby they were enabled to turn from idols to serve
him, who is the true and living God.

Among the famous worthies that the sacred history makes mention of in
the new world was Abraham, [who left] his native country and kindred
at the command of God.

In transitu, two things seem not unworthy of our consideration, viz.,

(1) that God's people are sometimes called by him to remove from the
places of their nativity info a country afar off. This call of God's
is not now immediate, as Abraham's was, but mediate; namely, when they
cannot live comfortably where they are and have a plain prospect of
mending themselves in another land. Or when they cannot enjoy the
ordinances of God with peace and purity: this latter was the case of
our pious predecessors, the first planters of this land: many of which
had fair accommodations and very considerable estates; who yet for the
satisfaction of their consciences accounted it far more eligible to
turn their backs upon all the good things in their own native country
and expose themselves and their families to great hazards and
difficulties by sea and land, than to abide where they were. Surely it
was not to gain great estates but for the promotion of religion and
the advancement of their own and their posterities' spiritual good,
that was in their eyes which made them to come from a fruitful land
into this Jeshimon and uncultivated wilderness.

(2) Another thing observable is that compliance with the revealed will
of God is usually followed with manifold blessings. We have an express
precept: "Be thou a blessing."

The more good God bestows upon any, the more service to his name he
looks for from such. As for those that are by God called into places
of authority over others, from such he looks for great diligence in
order to the furtherance of the good of others, as it is expressed in
Rom. 13:4, "He is the minister of God for good." People are not made
for rulers, but rulers are set up for the sake and good of people.

One thing I would propose, viz., that we all endeavor after unity in
our affections and, insofar as we can, in our apprehensions. It is a
good rule delivered by some: in necessariis unitas, in nonnecessariis
libertas, in utrisque charitas [unity in necessary things, liberty in
things not necessary, charity in both]. We are all well agreed as to
fundamentals of doctrine and order; we should therefore exercise
charity towards such as may differ from us in matters that are not so
plainly revealed in the word about church discipline, and may be
looked upon as matters of a prudential nature, forbearing to brand
such as differ from us and do not fully concur with such things as
have been practiced with the ill-titles of 'apostates' and 'subverters
of the order of the gospel'.

To conclude, let us endeavor to amend what is and hath been amiss,
unfeignedly returning unto God. As one sinner destroys much good, so
many repenting and reforming sinners may procure much good, whereby we
shall be blessings in our places. Thereupon we may expect that God
will be with us as he was with our fathers; he will not leave or
forsake us. And in these perilous and burdensome times, the eternal
God will be our refuge, and underneath us will be his everlasting
arms. Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus, throughout all
ages, world without end. Amen.

###