[Peace-discuss] DHS Gestapo

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Nov 28 11:51:13 CST 2011

It's not confusion: it's etymology. (Didn't this come up once before
on this list, back in Little-Bush-time?)

The root of geheim (adj. = secret) is Heim (n. = home); cf. the
synonym heimlich (adj. = concealed, hidden, in secret).

 From the same root, unheimlich (adj. = uncanny) has connotations of
“weird, eerie” as in Freud's 1919 essay "Das Unheimliche," where he
argues "that social taboo often yields an aura not only of pious
reverence but even more so of horror and even disgust, as the taboo
state of an item gives rise to the commonplace assumption that that
which is hidden from public eye must be a dangerous threat and even an
abomination ... the Uncanny is what unconsciously reminds us of ...
our forbidden and thus repressed impulses perceived as a threatening
force .... Thus, the items and individuals that we project our own
repressed impulses upon become a most uncanny threat to us, uncanny
monsters and freaks akin to fairy-tale folk-devils, and subsequently
often become scapegoats we blame for all sorts of perceived miseries,
calamities, and maladies" - like terrorists, communists, anarchists -
or the working-class "fuer sich."

Freud continues, "What interests us most in this long extract is to
find that among its different shades of meaning the word heimlich
exhibits one which is identical with its opposite, unheimlich. What is
heimlich thus comes to be unheimlich. [...] In general we are reminded
that the word heimlich is not unambiguous, but belongs to two sets of
ideas, which, without being contradictory, are yet very different: on
the one hand it means what is familiar and agreeable, and on the
other, what is concealed and kept out of sight. Unheimlich is
customarily used, we are told, as the contrary only of the first
signification of heimlich, and not of the second. [...] On the other
hand, we notice that Schelling says something which throws quite a new
light on the concept of the Unheimlich, for which we were certainly
not prepared. According to him, everything is unheimlich that ought to
have remained secret and hidden but has come to light."

"Heim (home) is 'the realm of the familiar' - where you are safe and
secure ... Geheimnis (secret) [has] this etymological idea that home
is where you have privacy, where you can protect your secrets from the
outside. Relatedly, heimlich means 'secretive' ... there are two
strong contrasting connotations at play here - the friendly,
comforting association with home, and the idea of secrets and
isolation."

As Steven Wagner said in another context, a Heimlich maneuver...

The two notions are suggested by the operations of the Department of
Homeland Security and the Geheime Staatspolizei: under Obama, they're
working to live up to their name.

But of course we've had federal secret political police in America for
generations, keeping the homeland secure by stealth - the FBI (white-
washed apparently in Clint Eastwood's new film - "Anonymous" is far
better history).  --CGE