[Peace-discuss] DHS Gestapo

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 28 22:01:22 CST 2011

Quite right, except that etymology is very different than translation or definition.  How many grandiose sermons have I heard constructed with some stretch of etymological significance as their centerpieces, I shudder to think.  So, sorry if this is a pet peeve.

The indigenous or "First" peoples of this continent are often called "Indians" but that does not mean they come from India, or even that anyone now living believes they really do.  It only suggests some historical associations for historical reasons, which may tell us little or nothing else.  It may be interesting -- and I think it is -- but it doesn't define the word.  The English word "secret" drives from the same root as "secretion," for example.  And while the association is all very interesting ( Latin "secernere" - "to separate, set apart"), it certainly doesn't follow that we can translate "secret" into some other language using the same word as "secretion."  Anyway, Freud can say anything he wants, of course, and it doesn't make it so :-)

Aside from my quibbles, though, and interestingly enough, the Gestapo was originally only the Prussian intelligence and political police, the two separate agencies combined by the Nazis, who also proceeded to join together the previously local police forces into a national police force.  When the Bush Admin proposed and the Obama Admin continued a newly centralized/coordinated operation of various "law-enforcement" agencies that previously had maintained more separation, they neglected to mention the analogy.  Local or state police used to be prohibited by law from enforcing immigration policy, for example, which was the almost exclusive purview of the then-INS (now ICE, part of DHS).  Now the "Secure Communities" program

(see http://www.ice.gov/secure_communities/)

actually relies on local, state and federal "law-enforcement" agencies to do INS/ICE work.  An event organized by some local immigration-rights activists on Dec. 1  (7pm at the Champaign Public Library) will discuss this program more
(see http://www.facebook.com/pages/Latino-Partnership-of-Champaign-County/103442953045911).

This is just an example.  But police power is something we need to be wary of in general, not just when it's new, as recent events in Champaign, and Oakland, etc. remind us.

(http://www.ucimc.org/content/video-champaign-police-choking-black-youth-while-handcuffs)
It's a version of the system supported by our government through the former School of the Americas and similar training operations for many years, as well as our direct interventions to set up such police states when the indirect approach falls short.  I guess I'm just saying, a police state by any other name ...

Ricky