[Peace-discuss] many upcoming events - Weisbrot; Migrants; IVAW 10 years in Afghanistan speak-out; Beehive/Cost of Coal; Unity March; Health care forum; Giving Voice to Iraqi Refugees

Barbara kessel barkes at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 08:36:45 CDT 2011

Anything going on outdoors on the 6th that you have heard of? Barbara

On Monday, October 3, 2011, Stuart Levy <slevy at ncsa.illinois.edu> wrote:
> Summary of upcoming events, with details below:
>
> Mon 10/3  8pm  Levis Faculty Center, 3rd floor
>   Mark Weisbrot: "The Ignorant Elite: Neoliberalism and Its Consequences"
>
> Tue 10/4  3:30pm-5pm  Levis Faculty Center, first floor Reading Room
>   Mark Weisbrot: "Latin American Policy under Obama:
>                   Politics, Economics, and Geopolitics"
>
> Wed 10/5  6:30-8pm  Champaign Public Library room "C"
>    Norma Price, who works with Samaritans in southern Arizona:
>    "Hear What It Means to Cross the Border - Migrants and their
experiences"

> Thu 10/6  ---  Wherever you are
>   Make a clamor for peace -- demonstrate, lobby Congress, do something!
>
> Thu 10/6  7pm  U-C Independent Media Center, downtown Urbana
>    Beehive Collective -- "Mountaintop Removal: The True Cost of Coal"
>    Hear from this visiting group of activist artists!
>     http://beehivecollective.org/
>
> Fri 10/7  Noon   U of I Quad (south side of Illini Union, facing the Quad)
>    Iraq Veterans Against the War will be hosting a speak-out on the quad
on the
>    10th anniversary of the U.S.-led invasion of Afghanistan.  Speak out
>    against the occupations, against militarism, and for peace and social
justice.

> Fri 10/7  6-8pm  U-C Independent Media Center, Broadway & Elm, downtown
Urbana
>    Opening reception for "Unity in the Community: Sowing Seeds of
Empowerment",
>    photo exhibit running 10/7-10/21 -- photos remembering Kiwane
Carrington
>    and Unity March VII, by Patricia Rosario.
>
> Sat 10/8  11:30am rally at WEFT (113 N. Market St, Champaign),
>          noon rally outside, and march to Chase Bank (University &
Randolph)

>    NATIONAL DAYS OF ACTION UNITY MARCH
>    Rally for decent jobs, Medicare for all, strengthen social security,
>    labor rights, protecting and expanding public education,
>    ending the wars, ending discrimination against felony convicts,
>    make wealthy people and corporations pay their taxes, and
>    demand that the bailed-out banks give back our money!
>
> Wed 10/12  5:30-7:30pm   Champaign Library rooms A and B
>   Health Care Community Forum, by CBHC, CCHCC, NAACP and others
>   Panel on the new Illinois health insurance marketplace
>
> Fri 10/14  7pm  UofI music bldg auditorium (1114 W Nevada, U)
>   "No Place Called Home" - one-woman play giving voice to Iraqi refugees
>   By Kim Schultz, part of a delegation of US artists who visited Iraqi
refugee camps.

> Mon 10/3  8pm  UofI Levis Faculty Center, 3rd floor, 919 W. Illinois St,
U.
>   Mark Weisbrot (of Center for Economic and Policy Research, cepr.net)
speaks:
>   "The Ignorant Elite: Neoliberalism and Its Consequences"
>

> Tue 10/4  3:30pm  Levis Faculty Center Reading Room (first floor)
>   Mark Weisbrot (of cepr.net) speaks again:
>   "Latin American Policy under Obama: Politics, Economics, and
Geopolitics"

>   Weisbrot was interviewed on Robert McChesney's "Media Matters" WILL-AM
>   radio program last weekend, Oct 2nd (and many times in the past);
>   find it in the archives at
>       http://will.illinois.edu/mediamatters/
>
>   Mark Weisbrot is co-director of the Center for Economic and Policy
Research,
>    in Washington, D.C. He received his Ph.D. in economics from the
University of
>    Michigan. He has written numerous research papers on economic policy,
>    especially on Latin America and international economic policy. He is
also
>    co-author, with Dean Baker, of "Social Security: The Phony Crisis."
>    He writes a regular column on economic and policy issues, distributed
>    over 550 papers by McClatchy; writes a weekly column for The Guardian
(UK);
>    appears regularly on radio and television.  He is also president of
Just Foreign Policy.

> Wed 10/5  6:30-8pm  Champaign Public Library room "C"
>
>    Hear What It Means to Cross the Border
>    Migrants and their experiences
>
>    What are the real stories of immigration and our southern border?
>    Norma Price is a retired physician and co-author of the book,
>       With The Virgin - Stories From The Migrant Trail.
>    Dr. Price works with Samaritans in southern Arizona.
>    In this work she has learned about the border
>    and its people - on the ground and face to face.
>
>    She will share their stories on Wednesday, Oct. 5, from 6:30 to 8 pm in
the
>    Robeson Pavilon Room C, Champaign Public Library. Her presentation is
free
>    and open to the public.
>
> Wed 10/5  7:00-9:00pm  basement room of IMC
>   Reading group for Michelle Alexander's "The New Jim Crow" meets.
 Reading Chapter 2 this week.

http://www.truth-out.org/october-6-lets-make-national-clamor-peace/1317305972

> Thu 10/6  7pm  U-C Independent Media Center, Broadway & Elm, Urbana
>
>    Beehive Collective -- "Mountaintop Removal: The True Cost of Coal"
>     http://beehivecollective.org/
>
>    A high energy, interactive, graphic-based picture-lecture that speaks
>    the overwhelming and complex picture of globalization, militarization,
and
>    resource extraction, as well as the small-scale changes and actions we
can
>    undertake to build another world!
>
>    Our insatiable demand for cheap power has lead to the most extreme,
>    devastating form of coal mining yet, Mountaintop Removal (MTR). The
TRUE
>    COST OF COAL graphic uses MTR in Appalachia as a lens through which to
>    understand the historical and contemporary story of ENGERY, RESOURCE
>    EXTRACTION and of AMERICAN EMPIRE accelerating throughout the world.
 We
>    will expose the DECEPTIONS of CLEAN COAL technologies and bring to
light
>    the ensuing CLIMATE CHAOS facing the world today.
>
>    With a gigantic portable teeming with intricate images of plants and
>    animals from the most bio-diverse temperate forest on the planet, the
Bees
>    will share (and seek) stories of how coal mining and Mountaintop
Removal
>    affect communities and ecosystems throughout Appalachia and beyond.
>
>    The TRUE COST OF COAL will challenge all of us who
>    casually flip on a light switch to examine our own connection
>    about what we can do to stop it from within our own communities.
>

> Fri 10/7  Noon   U of I Quad (south side of Illini Union, facing the Quad)
>
>    Iraq Veterans Against the War will be hosting a speak-out on the quad
on the
>    10th anniversary of the U.S.-led invasion of Afghanistan.
>
>    Join us in speaking out against the occupations, against militarism,
>    and for peace and social justice.
>
>    This October 7th marks the ten-year anniversary of the continued
occupation
>    of Afghanistan. This decade of war has devastated and traumatized the
people
>    of Afghanistan, while also having dire consequences here at home, yet
we are
>    seeing an escalation in the so-called global war on terror.  The end of
the
>    occupation of Afghanistan is nowhere in sight, and the occupation of
Iraq
>    persists, despite promises of withdrawal.  Drone attacks and raids are
>    carried out daily across the Afghan border into Pakistan, violating
>    their sovereignty.  Our government continues to spend one trillion
dollars a
>    year to fund worldwide military operations in the midst of a budget
crisis,
>    maintaining 800 military bases around the globe.  Service members
continue to
>    suffer from war and conflict even after discharge, as they are faced
with
>    untreated physical and mental injuries, unemployment, substance abuse,
and
>    homelessness.  Meanwhile, rates of trauma amongst occupied populations
are
>    unknown, with some estimating that they are near universal.
>

> Fri 10/7  6-8pm  U-C Independent Media Center, Broadway & Elm, downtown
Urbana

>  Opening reception for "Unity in the Community: Sowing Seeds of
Empowerment", 10/7-10/21