[Peace-discuss] #october2011: "When drones fly, children die! Stop the wars now!"

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Oct 7 14:13:23 CDT 2011

[And let's stop pretending that we don't know who killed those
children. The following is from three years ago. --CGE]

http://www.presstv.ir/photo/20080916/khan20080916011034656.JPG
US Presidential hopeful Barrack Obama has termed the cross-border
raids by the US forces into Pakistan as a small step in the right
direction.

Obama supported the raids but described them as "baby steps" by the
Bush's administration.

"The Bush administration has come to that point of view. That's the
kind of policy we have to pursue and continue ...This is a baby step,
but it's a baby step in the right direction and something that John
McCain hasn't been willing to acknowledge," Susan Rice, the top
foreign policy adviser to Senator Obama, said.

"President Bush and the administration, indeed, are doing what Senator
Obama said we must, well over a year ago. If we have actionable
intelligence about a high-value terrorist target inside Pakistan and
Pakistan is unwilling or unable to take that target out, such as Osama
bin Laden, Senator Obama's view is we should act," she added.

"Senator Obama has been saying for well over a year, in fact, has been
saying frankly since before the invasion of Iraq that the central
front in the war on terror is Afghanistan and Pakistan. And we need to
invest there," she noticed.

Rice said that President Bush and his administration were doing what
Senator Obama believed in, saying invading Pakistan did not mean
hurting the country's sovereignty but should be viewed as an act of
self-defense.

"Not to invade. Not to take over Pakistan's sovereignty, but to take
out that target as an act of self-defense," Rice concluded.
The Obama camp statement comes after the Bush administration
authorized raids against militants in Pakistan without prior approval
from Islamabad.

Subsequently, the Pakistani Army were given orders to retaliate
against any unilateral strike by the Afghanistan-based US troops
inside the country and its Air force fighters carried out sorties in
the tribal region for the first time after US missiles attacks killed
dozens of civilians.

Earlier, some US senators said the congress must intervene
legislatively and legally to prevent Bush from continuing down this
dangerous path.

Meanwhile, some US drones violated the Pakistani airspace on Monday
but after facing Pak fighter jets' fire, fled the area, according to
local media reports.

The upsurge in strikes and irresponsible statements by US officials
have alarmed the Pakistani military, which says it would hit back
against any further US aggression inside the country.