[Peace-discuss] [sf-core] Re: [CentralILJwJ] Fw: Obama’s ‘Jobs Act’ Proposal: Why Less is More of the Same

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 21:24:33 CDT 2011

David seems to be on one of his jihads here, so I'm going to bow out
of this discussion after clearing up one fact that David seems to be
unwilling to concede, or maybe David has permanently seceded from
fact-land. It is a fact that under Obama's proposal, as under the
current payroll tax holiday, the reduced revenues to Social Security
will be made up from general revenues:

""Normally, money from the payroll tax goes to fund Social Security.
Under Obama's plan, money would be transferred from the government's
general fund to cover the revenue losses to Social Security, but
Republicans argue that is a dangerous game."

- "Obama's proposed tax cut a quandary for GOP," Lisa Mascaro and
Peter Nicholas, Los Angeles Times, September 09, 2011,
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/sep/09/nation/la-na-obama-jobs-20110910

Hate Obama as much as you want, but as I said and wrote repeatedly
during the George W. Bush administration in arguing that progressives
should support the Bush Administration's policies on reforming U.S.
food aid by relaxing the requirement that it be spent on U.S.
agricultural goods and on forcing the World Bank to convert from loans
to grants in the poorest countries: "If George W. Bush says that two
plus two equals four, it's still four."

--
Robert Naiman
Policy Director
naiman at justforeignpolicy.org

Urge Congress to Support a Timetable for Military Withdrawal from Afghanistan
http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/act/feingold-mcgovern