[Peace-discuss] Fwd: Re: [lbo-talk] Is Obama Depressed?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Tue Sep 13 09:09:03 CDT 2011

Interesting speculation from the editor of the excellent Left Business Observer:

On Sep 13, 2011, at 9:09 AM, James Leveque quoted Gawker:

>  We're told by a source inside the *Times* that the paper is
>  preparing a story arguing that Obama no longer finds joy in the
>  political back-and-forth, has seemed increasingly listless to
>  associates, and is generally exhibiting the litany of signs that
>  late-night cable commercials will tell you add up to depression.

I've thought all along that the guy has narcissistic personality disorder. All
politicians do to some degree, but his seems extreme. It also explains the
reaction of many of his supporters - initial passionate crush followed by
disappointment. The guy is charming at first, but then his emptiness takes over
and you want to be rid of him. So it would make sense that he's depressed - a
narcissistic depression characterized by feelings of emptiness and abandonment
rather than a neurotic one, filled with self-reproach.

--Doug Henwood