[Peace-discuss] AWARE Farmer's Market this weekend - including flyering to save the life of Troy Davis

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 19:36:00 CDT 2011

Stuart,

The flier against the death penalty for Troy Davis (or anyone for that
matter), is a legitimate thing to have on the AWARE table, in my
opinion. So, I vote yes.

RE: the tabling
* I can help with any shift that needs me.
* My car can also be available for transportation (aka the get-away vehicle).
* I am available to drive too.

-karen medina

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 1:10 AM, Stuart Levy <slevy at ncsa.illinois.edu> wrote:
> Saturday is coming, and AWARE's chance to talk with people at the Farmer's Market.
> Can you be there for a shift?  (Ron and Carol aren't available this week, so the
> 9:20-10:40 time is open...).
>

> We can gather petition signatures, thanks to Campaign to End the Death Penalty (cedp.org),
> for the life of Troy Davis.  He is on death row in Georgia, and now scheduled for
> execution on September 21st, with one remaining chance at a clemency hearing,
> to be held on Monday, the 19th - so very little time remains.
>
> Though convicted of murder of a policeman, no physical evidence links Davis
> to the crime; seven of the nine witnesses who testified against him have
> recanted, saying that they were pressured by police; and other witnesses
> have pointed to another man as committing the murder.  Despite all this,
> Davis has not been permitted a new trial.
>

> And... next week, the Palestinians intend to apply for "observer state"
> status at the United Nations.  We can talk with people about that too,
> and about the demonstration now planned for 5pm next Tuesday, Sep. 20th,
> in support of Palestinian rights.

-- karen medina
"The really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." - Mark Twain