[Peace-discuss] the Graduate Employee Organization won a grievance against the University of Illinois

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 11:28:21 CDT 2011

[For some reason, this news has not made it in to the local media. So,
I thought I would write the story and share it with you. -karen
medina]

In 2009,
tuition waivers were the issue.
GEO went on strike.

Tuition waivers were added to the contract.
We signed and went back to work.

Then, in the tiny FAA department, tuition waivers for new students
were not given.
GEO filed a grievance.
The U of I administration claimed our contract did not apply to
incoming students. They demanded that we drop the grievance or they
would take us to arbitration.

September 2011, an outside arbitrator decided that the U was wrong.
GEO won again.

Our contract is secure for now.
The U must repair the damage to incoming FAA students.
Congratulations to the union and all those protected through it.

El pueblo unido