[Peace-discuss] An experiment in guaranteed income

C. G. ESTABROOK cge at shout.net
Sun Sep 25 10:54:11 CDT 2011

The idea is not new, and our two business parties have to work hard to
smother it.

Business of course opposes it furiously because of its empowerment of
workers: they wouldn't have to take any job on offer, on any terms
employers demand.

{From <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guaranteed_minimum_income>.}A
basic income is granted independent of other income (including
salaries) and wealth, with no other requirement than citizenship. This
is a special case of GMI, based on additional ideologies and/or goals.
While most modern countries have some form of guaranteed minimum
income, a basic income is rare.
A basic income is a proposed system of social security, that
periodically provides each citizen with a sum of money that is
sufficient to live on. Except for citizenship, a basic income is
entirely unconditional. There is no means test; the richest as well as
the poorest citizens would receive it.

A basic income is often proposed in the form of a citizen's dividend
(a transfer) or a negative income tax (a guarantee). A basic income
less than the social minimum is referred to as a partial basic income.
A worldwide basic income, typically including income redistribution
between nations, is known as a global basic income.

The idea of guaranteed minimum income is not new...

American revolutionary Thomas Paine advocated a basic income guarantee
to all US citizens as compensation for "loss of his or her natural
inheritance, by the introduction of the system of landed
property" (Agrarian Justice, 1795).

French Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte echoed Paine's sentiments and
commented that 'man is entitled by birthright to a share of the
Earth's produce sufficient to fill the needs of his
existence' (Herold, 1955).

In 1963, Robert Theobald published the book Free Men and Free Markets,
in which he advocated a guaranteed minimum income (the origin of the
modern version of the phrase).

In his final book Where Do We Go from Here: Chaos or Community? (1967)
Martin Luther King Jr. wrote, "I am now convinced that the simplest
approach will prove to be the most effective — the solution to poverty
is to abolish it directly by a now widely discussed measure: the
guaranteed income" [from the chapter entitled "Where We Are Going"].

In 1968, James Tobin, Paul Samuelson, John Kenneth Galbraith and
another 1,200 economists signed a document calling for the US Congress
to introduce in that year a system of income guarantees and supplements.

In 1973, Daniel Patrick Moynihan wrote The Politics of a Guaranteed
Income in which he advocated for the Guaranteed Minimum Income and
discussed Richard Nixon's GAI proposal.

[For the purposely ignored legislative history of the idea in the most
liberal US administration since WWII, see http://millercenter.org/academic/americanpresident/nixon/essays/biography/4
 >; see also links at <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Negative_income_tax>.]  --CGE