[Peace-discuss] Occupy Wall Street is where the hope of America lies

C. G. ESTABROOK cge at shout.net
Mon Sep 26 22:47:37 CDT 2011

Chris Hedges: Occupy Wall Street is ‘where the hope of America lies’
	• Posted on 09.25.11
	• By Muriel Kane

Journalist Chris Hedges put in an appearance at the Occupy Wall Street
protest on Sunday morning and engaged in a lengthy interview, during
which he described the protest as “really where the hope of America
lies.”
Hedges was particularly impressed by the significance of Saturday’s
mass arrests on the part of the New York Police Department. He told
the interviewer, “The real people who are scared are the power elite.
Of course, they’re trying to make you scared and us scared. But I can
tell you, having been a reporter for the New York Times, that on the
inside they’re very, very frightened. They do not want movements like
this to grow, and they understand on some level — whether it’s
subconscious or, in other cases, even overt — that the criminal class
in this country has seized power.”

Hedges went on to say that the protesters should be seen as
“conservatives” because “they call for the restoration of the rule of
law.”

“The real radicals have seized power,” he asserted, “and they are
decimating all impediments to the creation of a neo-feudalistic
corporate state, one in which there is a rapacious oligarchic class, a
thin managerial elite, and two-thirds of this country live in
conditions that increasingly push families to subsistence level.”

According to Hedges, the corporate state wants to “reduce the working
class to a status equivalent to serfdom. … They want us to remain
passive and to remain frightened. And as long as we remain passive and
frightened, entranced with their electronic hallucinations, we are not
a threat.”

“The moment people come out and do this [kind of protest],” Hedges
concluded, “the corporate state is terrified — and if you doubt me,
look around you at the huge numbers of cops, and not only that but the
kind of brutality the cops have visited on peaceful protesters.”

http://www.rawstory.com/rawreplay/2011/09/chris-hedges-occupy-wall-street-is-where-the-hope-of-america-lies/