[Peace-discuss] Recognize Israel?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Sep 28 11:46:14 CDT 2011

At a dinner party the other evening a senior member of the local
faculty observed, "There would be no problem at the UN if the
Palestinians would simply recognize Israel. But the Hamas charter
calls for the destruction of the Jewish state."

Noam Chomsky comments as follows (Counterpunch, June 6, 2008):

"Hamas cannot recognize Israel any more than Kadima can recognize
Palestine, or than the Democratic Party in the US can recognize
England. One could ask whether a government led by Hamas should
recognize Israel, or whether a government led by Kadima or the
Democratic Party should recognize Palestine. So far they have all
refused to do so, though Hamas has at least called for a two-state
settlement in accord with the long-standing international consensus,
while Kadima and the Democratic Party refuse to go that far, keeping
to the rejectionist stance that the US and Israel have maintained for
over 30 years in international isolation. As for words, when Prime
Minister Olmert declares to a joint session of the US Congress that he
believes 'in our people's eternal and historic right to this entire
land,' to rousing applause, he is presumably referring not only to
Palestine from the Jordan to the sea, but also to the other side of
the Jordan river, the historic claim of the Likud Party that was his
political home, a claim never formally abandoned, to my knowledge. On
Hamas, I think it should abandon those provisions of its charter, and
should move from acceptance of a two-state settlement to mutual
recognition, though we must bear in mind that its positions are more
forthcoming than those of the US and Israel."

And on the  "one-state vs. two-states solution":

"We have to make a distinction between proposal and advocacy. We can
propose that everyone should live in peace. It becomes advocacy when
we sketch out a realistic path from here to there. A one-state
solution makes little sense, in my opinion, but a bi-national state
does. It was possible to advocate such a settlement from 1967 to the
mid-1970s, and in fact I did, in many writings and talks, including a
book. The reaction was mostly fury. After Palestinian national rights
entered the international agenda in the mid-1970s, it has remained
possible to advocate bi-nationalism (and I continue to do so), but
only as a process passing through intermediate stages, the first being
a two-state settlement in accord with the international consensus.
That outcome, probably the best that can be envisioned in the short
term, was almost reached in negotiations in Taba in January 2001, and
according to participants, could have been reached had the
negotiations not been prematurely terminated by Israeli Prime Minister
Barak. That was the one moment in the past 30 years when the two
leading rejectionist states did briefly consider joining the
international consensus, and the one time when a diplomatic settlement
seemed within sight. Much has changed since 2001, but I do not see any
reason to believe that what was apparently within reach then is
impossible today. It is of some interest, and I think instructive,
that proposals for a 'one-state solution' are tolerated within the
mainstream today, unlike the period when advocacy was indeed feasible
and they were anathema. Today they are published in the New York
Times, New York Review of Books, and elsewhere. One can only conclude
that they are considered acceptable today because they are completely
unfeasible -- they remain proposal, not advocacy. In practice, the
proposals lend support to US-Israeli rejectionism, and undermine the
only feasible advocacy of a bi-national solution, in stages."

--CGE