[Peace-discuss] AWARE cosponsor a play giving voice to Iraqi refugees? "No Place Called Home", Kim Schultz, Fri Oct 14th

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.illinois.edu
Wed Sep 28 18:13:29 CDT 2011

Should AWARE co-sponsor this play, presented by CSAMES?

	No Place Called Home
  a play giving voice to Iraqi refugees
   written and performed by Kim Schultz
	Friday, Oct 14, 7pm
      UofI music building auditorium

For AWARE to co-sponsor, all they ask is that we help publicize the event.
I don't know anything about Ms. Schultz, but the subject seems very important
and too-little discussed.  In short, this looks good to me.  Any opinions?

There is a draft flyer, though they ask that we *not* broadcast/post that yet,
since it includes the current list of co-sponsors which is liable to change
(including adding AWARE if we say Yes).

Here's the text of the flyer-to-be:

NO PLACE CALLED HOME
A play giving voice to Iraqi refugees

Kim Schultz is the playwright and actress of No Place Called Home,
a one- woman play based on the vignettes of Iraqi refugees living
in Jordan, Lebanon and Syria.  In 2009, Schultz was part of a
delegation of American artists who visited Iraqi refugee camps. The
delegation met with hundreds of refugees at community centers and
in their homes. Upon their return, the artists began creating a
series of artistic pieces designed to humanize the crisis and give
voice to the millions of refugees whose plight has yet to enter
broad public consciousness.  No Place Called Home is a result of
this effort.

WHEN Friday, Oct. 14, 7:00 pm
WHERE Music Building Auditorium,
     1114 W. Nevada St., Urbana

This event is free and open to the public.

Written and performed by Kim Schultz with music by Amikaeyla Gaston.
Directed by Sarah Cameron Sunde
Commissioned by Intersections International

CO-SPONSORED BY Religion, School of Music, Cline Center for Democracy, Sociology, History, School of Literatures,
Cultures and Linguistics; Women and Gender in Global Perspectives Program, Program in Jewish Culture and Society, Theatre,
Political Science, Unit for Criticism and Interpretive Theory
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign