[Peace-discuss] Bricmont on identity…

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 3 15:27:48 UTC 2012

In  his very insightful and thorough book "Carbon Democracy," Timothy Mitchell writes that "there was no shortage of reasons for the (Iraq 2003) war." He mentions "security to oil supplies" and removal of a threat to Jordan/Israel. But tellingly, he doesn't even mention the Lobby, even to bother to dismiss its alleged influence on the invasion. He quotes a British intelligence official: "Since the decision to invade had already been made, "the intelligence and facts were fixed around the policy." Unfortunately, many of those who rightly object to Atzmon's approach do not equally object to the Mearsheimer/Walt thesis, and indeed many support it.

 support, in large part by those same organizations. As a result, the main task of the Palestine solidarity movement should be to allow free speech about Palestine, but also to denounce the pressure and intimidation by various lobbies..." [Emphasis added.]