[Peace-discuss] More demagoguery from Van Jones

C. G. Estabrook cge at shout.net
Tue Apr 10 16:07:32 UTC 2012

[The administration uses its Luftmensch, Van Jones to attack the only
presidential candidate who opposes the Obama administration's killing
and looting - expanded war abroad & expanded support for Wall St. at
home.  --CGE]

Van Jones: Libertarianism ‘would spit in the face of Dr. King’

By David Edwards

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 10:24 EDT

Former White House adviser Van Jones on Monday defended recent remarks
he made against “so-called libertarians” by saying, “I think we have
to start punching back.”

In a March speech to the Occupy movement in Los Angeles, Jones had
called libertarianism a “despicable ideology.”

“They say they’re Patriots but they hate everybody in America who
looks like us,” the former Green Jobs czar explained. “They say they
love America but they hate the people, the brown folk, the gays, the
lesbians, the people with piercings, ya know ya’ll.”

During a Monday interview, Russia Today’s Alyona Minkovski asked Jones
if he had fallen into the trap of extremist rhetoric with those remarks.

“I think we have to start punching back and fighting back,” he
replied. “Here’s the deal: If you can’t take it, don’t dish it out.”

Noting his statement was “overly broad,” Jones added, “But that’s
American politics. You guys should know that. American politics, we
mix it up.”

“I’ve never backed down from a fight over ideas. [What did he do when
attacked by Glen Beck? --CGE] I’m tired and I think a lot of people on
the American left are tired of a certain section of people acting like
they have a monopoly on patriotism. They don’t. And they’re the ones
who challenge our patriotism. … I should have said the so-called
libertarians who identify themselves with this ultra-right-wing camp
because there are libertarians that don’t have those views.”

He continued: “But I’ve met libertarians who say Dr. Martin Luther
King, Dr. King, is somebody they can’t support because someone should
have the right to exclude people in this country from being able to go
into a restaurant, go into a hotel or go into a place of business
solely based on the color of their skin.”

“You can’t call yourself a patriot and adopt an extreme ideology that
would spit in the face of Dr. King.”

Many libertarians believe that the federal government’s Civil Rights
Act of 1964 went too far by banning whites-only lunch counters and
other discrimination by business.

“I think it’s a bad business decision to exclude anybody from your
restaurant—but, at the same time, I do believe in private ownership,”
then-Senate candidate Rand Paul (R-KY), a libertarian, told the
Louisville Courier-Journal in 2010. “In a free society, we will
tolerate boorish people, who have abhorrent behavior.”

After a firestorm of criticism, Paul released a statement saying he
backed the Civil Rights Act.

“I support the Civil Rights Act because I overwhelmingly agree with
the intent of the legislation, which was to stop discrimination in the
public sphere and halt the abhorrent practice of segregation and Jim
Crow laws,” he said.

“This much is clear: The federal government has far overreached in its
power grabs,” the libertarian added. “The federal government is out of
control, and those who love liberty and value individual and state’s
rights must stand up to it.”

Watch this video from RT’s The Alyona Show, broadcast April 9, 2012.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/04/10/van-jones-libertarianism-would-spit-in-the-face-of-dr-king/

David Edwards has served as an editor at Raw Story since 2006. His
work can also be found at Crooks & Liars, and he's also been published
at The BRAD BLOG. He came to Raw Story after working as a network
manager for the state of North Carolina and as as engineer developing
enterprise resource planning software. Follow him on Twitter at
@DavidEdwards.