[Peace-discuss] the bifurcation

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Mon Apr 30 04:02:38 UTC 2012

A Chinese dissident seems to have escaped from "house arrest" and is
allegedly holed up
in the American embassy on the other side of town.  Apparently some
carefully orchestrated
deal, since the security at the new American Embassy near Liangmaqiao is
very heavy indeed.
You don't just walk up and introduce yerself as a dissident seeking
asylum.  No way, no how.

Neither do you dodge around like Kevin Costner avoiding y pursuers past
Annie's, the Hard Rock
Cafe', Starbucks, and Fatburger's and finally slip on down the street
and make your way through
the interminable lines of amassed Chinamen queueing for visas... Then
hurl yourself at the door...
"It's me, Chen!  The cops are after me!  Let me in!"  It's Polly Anna
Parcheesi, and Chen has
evaded chance and his competitors.  He's made it.  Welcome home, Comrade
Chen.

Actually, it's nothing like that it seems.

After all, Mr. Chen is blind.  We weep at his affliction.  But he is not
able to hear or feel his way to
the asylum of the American Embassy.

Obviously this is political theatre, and Chen is victim and hero of some
grand design.
He has escaped from the clutches of the dragon.  Shades of Churchill and
Papillon.

Press releases follow.

***

Thousands of miles away in New Mexico an American activist languishes in
house arrest.

He wears sci-fi movie-esque ankle bracelet as a constant reminder that
he is a prisoner of the state.

No visits to the blacksmith to have it removed.  No shooting it off with
a .45 like in the old west.
No sawing it off with Gigli wire.  No fastening it to a coyote and
sending the paramilitary
police on a merry chase across the high desert.

Any slight indiscretion in movement on his part, and the GPS watch dog
team comes down on him like a
million tons of rain.  Most Americans have no idea who he is.  Some who
know are glad that he
is neutralized, and they feel safer at night knowing that he is under
the custody of the state.  He awaits
trial and an uncertain future.  He gets a bill every month for the ankle
bracelet.  He can't get a job.
If he doesnt pay up for the bracelet he goes back to the warm security
of the iron hotel.

Some of us call him friend, or brother.
Some shed a tear and share his torment.
He made some bad choices it seems.

But for the grace of God, there go I, we sigh.

If only he could make it to the Chinese Embassy...