[Peace-discuss] [sf-core] 13th IL CD & Obama's wars

C. G. Estabrook cge at shout.net
Fri Aug 10 19:13:57 UTC 2012

You're right, Mort, that "There is nothing about foreign policy, e.g., Iran, in Gill's statement."

Also, there is nothing about foreign policy - Iran or any of the rest of Obama's wars - on his website, either!

Don't you think that silence speaks volumes? Doesn't it tell you that Gill in Congress will support Obama's mendacious "winding down the wars" - rather than voting against any more money for war in the Mideast and Africa, as Tim Johnson does?

I actually had you in mind - your condign outrage at Durbin's insistence that Iran was building a nuclear weapon and must be stopped - when I wrote this post, about Gill's sucking up to Durbin over the latter's endorsement.

But Durbin is an apologist for the administration's shameful, murderous foreign policy. And I think Gill will be too.

The late Gore Vidal said, "The four most beautiful words in our common language: I told you so."

It will be with regret that I manifest such beauty the first time David Gill votes to fund more war. And I really hope that he won't do it.

But I actually have no wish "to undermine Gill's chances to win the congressional seat," given that his opponent is a Republican hack.

Under the circumstances, I'll probably vote for Gill, but I certainly wish he opposed Obama's wars the way Tim Johnson does.

Regards, CGE