[Peace-discuss] I want you/She's so heavy.

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sat Aug 25 13:56:04 UTC 2012

Lighter but heavy (..., man) as well. One of the few serious attempts to make art of "the Sixties" - and say something about what's now universally condemned within the limits of allowable debate. (See B. Obama, "Mendacity of Hope.")

Taymor is excellent. Her Shakespeare films - Titus (1999), with Anthony Hopkins, and The Tempest (2010), with Helen Mirren - are under-appreciated, and Across the Universe was made between them, with Shakespeare's history plays in mind, it seems. It's a shame she ever got involved with the Broadway Spiderman: she was I think trying to do something of the mixing of pop culture and serious comment that's involved here:

"Across the Universe is a 2007 musical romantic drama film directed by Julie Taymor, produced by Revolution Studios, and distributed by Columbia Pictures. The film's plot is centered around songs by The Beatles. The script is based on an original story credited to Taymor, Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais. It incorporates 34 compositions originally written by members of The Beatles. The film stars Evan Rachel Wood, Jim Sturgess, Joe Anderson and T. V. Carpio, and introduces Dana Fuchs and Martin Luther McCoy as actors. Cameo appearances are made by Bono, Eddie Izzard, Joe Cocker, Salma Hayek amongst others."

--CGE