[Peace-discuss] Oliver Stone: End Haiti's Cholera Epidemic with UN Action Now!

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Thu Dec 6 18:26:54 UTC 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Oliver Stone, Just Foreign Policy <info at justforeignpolicy.org>
Date: Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 12:02 PM
Subject: End Haiti's Cholera Epidemic with UN Action Now!
To: naiman at justforeignpolicy.org

 [image: Just Foreign
Policy]<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=YGnKjSHwKC3Dr6LpKvEhGCaFhK4x%2BNX6>

Dear Robert,

*Tell the UN to take decisive action to eliminate cholera in Haiti.*
Take Action<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=AWVLUTWYssq8e4JNl8eI3SaFhK4x%2BNX6>

 The people of Haiti are fighting a deadly cholera epidemic introduced by
UN troops that has killed thousands and sickened hundreds of thousands
more. [1] Since the UN accidentally caused this catastrophe, it has a
special responsibility to help Haitians stamp out killer cholera for good.
Press reports have suggested that announcement of a UN plan is possible
very soon.

*Let's press the UN to make sure it announces decisive action and to build
momentum and public attention to make sure the UN and major donor
governments follow through on their commitments.* We're partnering with
Avaaz, the Institute for Justice & Democracy in Haiti, and other
organizations to build momentum for decisive action. *You can sign our
petition to UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon here:*

*http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/Oliver_Stone_to_UN_end_Haiti_cholera<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=mmBwx2VRim%2FKYvbWSsGM5CaFhK4x%2BNX6>
*

Since it began in October 2010, Haiti’s cholera epidemic has killed over
7,700 and brought untold suffering to poor communities. Although doctors,
scientists, and even UN Special Envoy Bill Clinton recognize that UN troops
brought the epidemic to Haiti, the UN has refused to take responsibility.

According to recent news reports [2], key players – including the Haitian
government, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the
Pan-American Health Organization and UNICEF – may soon announce a plan to
respond to cholera with medical treatment and water and sanitation
infrastructure. This would be an important step in the right direction, but
it would be a tentative step, with only a tiny fraction of funding secured
so far. At the current pace, thousands more Haitians will die before their
communities receive clean water.

We have no time to lose. A spike in cholera cases has been reported after
Hurricane Sandy. Together we can save lives and help Haitians finally rid
the island of this killer, if we act now. *Sign this urgent petition and
share it with everyone you know.*

*http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/Oliver_Stone_to_UN_end_Haiti_cholera<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=LVq8jVXvUDIKzeSYtA0VpyaFhK4x%2BNX6>
*

Thank you for all you do to help bring about a more just foreign policy,

Oliver Stone
Director, "The Untold History of the United
States<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=hA9dXbyof%2BOZTdUfG1%2BeViaFhK4x%2BNX6>"
[3]
on behalf of Just Foreign Policy

*Please support JFP's work. Donate for a Just Foreign Policy.*
http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/donate<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=zB8B8kRCULM%2Fwz%2BnQ1ZYKiaFhK4x%2BNX6>