[Peace-discuss] Fw: Don't you dare raise the Medicare eligibility age

David Johnson dlj725 at hughes.net
Mon Dec 10 16:59:56 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: Becky Bond, CREDO Action
To: david johnson
Sent: Monday, December 10, 2012 10:48 AM
Subject: Don't you dare raise the Medicare eligibility age

                                Clicking here will automatically add your name to this petition to President Obama and Congressional leadership:
                                "You must not, under any circumstances, raise the eligibility age for Medicare. Any budget deal that includes benefit cuts to Social Security, Medicaid or Medicare is unacceptable and must be rejected."
                                Automatically add your name:
                                 Learn more about this campaign

                   Don't you dare raise the Medicare eligibility age
                  Dear David,

                  The Washington Post reported Friday that the major Democratic concession in fiscal cliff talks is likely to be raising the Medicare eligibility age from 65 to 67. 1

                  This is unacceptable. We should be lowering the Medicare eligibility age, not raising it.

                  Tell President Obama and Congressional Leadership: Don't accept any deal that raises the Medicare eligibility age or cuts benefits. Click here to automatically sign this petition.
                  Of course the real solution to our health care crisis is to expand Medicare to all. Medicare covers 40 million Americans over the age of 65, providing quality care at prices that are much lower than the private market. We should expand it so that it covers everybody.

                  Inside the beltway in Washington DC, politicians who enjoy lifetime pensions and fantastic health care coverage are busy bargaining away a cornerstone of our social safety net. And for what? To appease the corporations and wealthy Americans who many of our representatives see as their most important constituency.

                  These politicians need a wake up call. They need to hear from people all across the U.S. that we will not let them take away Medicare benefits.

                  Tell President Obama and Congressional Leadership: Don't accept any deal that raises the Medicare eligibility age or cuts benefits. Click here to automatically sign this petition.
                  Health care in the U.S. is already expensive. Saving money by cutting Medicare benefits does nothing more than shift the cost of necessary medical care onto the backs of people who might not be able to pay for it. Raising the Medicare eligibility age is one of the most wrongheaded things Congress and the White House could do. No deal is better than a bad deal. And we must reject any deal that contains cuts to Social Security, Medicaid or Medicare benefits.

                  It could be that this is just another trial balloon from DC insiders. But it could also be the shape of the deal that is soon to come. In either case, we need to shoot down this terrible idea, and do it decisively.

                  Paul Krugman, reacting to the news, wrote on his blog: "If anyone in the White House is seriously thinking along these lines, please stop it right now."2

                  We couldn't agree more.

                  Click below to automatically sign the petition:
                  http://act.credoaction.com/r/?r=6993415&p=medicare_eligibility&id=51812-6091082-UAHd5Xx&t=10

                  Thank you for helping us hold the line on Social Security, Medicaid and Medicare benefits.

                  Becky Bond, Political Director
                  CREDO Action from Working Assets

                  1. "The fiscal cliff deal comes clearer: a 37% top tax rate and a higher Medicare eligibility age", Washington Post, Dec. 7, 2012.
                  2. "I Hope This Isn't True", New York Times, Dec. 7, 2012.

                       Share on Facebook
                        Post to your wall

                       Tweet this
                        Post to Twitter