[Peace-discuss] Fw: EMAIL DELIVERY NOTICE: Some in Congress Say Paying Down Debt is Your Responsibility

David Johnson dlj725 at microsoft.com
Wed Dec 19 21:08:38 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: Laura Feldman
To: Laura Feldman
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 2:04 PM
Subject: FW: EMAIL DELIVERY NOTICE: Some in Congress Say Paying Down Debt is Your Responsibility

Please call

      Despite assurances by President Obama to keep Social Security out of the deficit debate, he and members of Congress are on the verge of approving a proposal that would cut projected Social Security benefits by changing the current Cost-of-Living Adjustment (COLA) formula to a stingier "chained" Consumer Price Index (CPI). If that happens, seniors, retired veterans and the disabled will see an immediate reduction in their benefits!

      That's why I urge YOU and all National Committee members to
      TAKE THE FOLLOWING IMMEDIATE ACTION:

        1.. Call the Legislative Hotline Number: (800) 998-0180 and get connected to your representatives' offices. Tell your U.S. Representative and U.S. Senators to REJECT this major cut to your earned Social Security benefits.
        2.. Call the White House: 202-456-1414 and tell President Obama not to support cuts to Social Security during these fiscal cliff talks.
      Adopting the chained CPI is nothing more than a political sleight of hand targeting our nation's middle-class and poor and would amount to a benefit cut, pure and simple. We don't have much time to defeat this proposal, so please help your National Committee send a powerful message to your elected officials in Washington TODAY to uphold the majority will of Americans by REJECTING this harmful proposal!

      Thank you in advance,

      Max Richtman
      President and CEO

      You are subscribed as ##email##. If you do not wish to receive any more messages, please click here to unsubscribe.

      National Committee to Preserve Social Security & Medicare
      10 G Street NE, Suite 600
      Washington, DC 20002-4215
      800.966.1935
      www.ncpssm.org