[Peace-discuss] Call Durbin in Springfield Today in Support of Chuck Hagel nomination for Secretary of Defense!

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Wed Dec 26 16:43:37 UTC 2012

Me and my friends at MoveOn are having a call-in to the Senate in support
of Chuck Hagel's nomination as Secretary of Defense.

I am interested to see how many calls we can generate. When we ask people
to call in support of ending the war in Afghanistan or diplomacy with Iran,
we're kind of jazzed if we can get a thousand people to call. Could we get
a thousand people to call for this? Could we get two thousand people to
make at least one call? This is on TV. The battle is joined. Twenty
thousand people have signed one of the petitions going around. If we could
get ten percent of them to call, that would be two thousand calls. That
would be twenty calls per office. Do you think Senate offices would notice
that? I do.

If you think it's early to be contacting the Senate, check out this alert
from Christians United for Israel:
"Ask Your Senators to publicly oppose the nomination of Senator Chuck Hagel
to be our next Secretary of Defense
https://secure2.convio.net/cufi/site/Advocacy?pagename=homepage&page=UserAction&id=271
"

I'm giving this link sent to me by MoveOn for people to look up the phone
number of their Senators:
http://www.congress.org/congressorg/dbq/officials/

This link gives local offices in the home state as well as the DC office.
I'm finding it hard to get through to some DC Senate offices, so I'm
encouraging people to call a local office in their state if they can't get
through to the DC office. I'd rather have people call somewhere than give
up.

In particular, I couldn't get through to Durbin's DC office, so I called
the Springfield office. That number is: *(217) 492-4062*.

I had no problem leaving a message in Kirk's DC office. That number is:  *(202)
224-2854.*

A suggested message is:

"I urge you to publicly support Chuck Hagel's nomination as Secretary of
Defense."

Some people may wish to try,

"I urge you to speak out in support of Senator Hagel because he is being
unjustly attacked." I got a good response on that from Durbin's Springfield
office.  "I agree with you," the person said, "and I will be sure to pass
that message on to Washington."

Also, people can try calling the White House comment line and saying,

"I've urged my Senator(s) to support your choice of Chuck Hagel to serve as
our next Secretary of Defense."

The White House Comment Line is (202) 456-1111.

When people have made their calls, they can report them to MoveOn here:

http://www.signon.org/tools/call.html

We've never been this close to having someone like Chuck Hagel as Secretary
of Defense. Let's keep up the pressure!

--
Robert Naiman
Policy Director