[Peace-discuss] "The American Century Is Over"

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Feb 27 11:43:04 CST 2012

Obama & his Republican 'opponents' are both getting their arguments on
American decline from neocon Robert Kagan.  (See article below.)

Here's what I think is a better account of the matter, differing a bit
from Bacevich's:

<http://chomsky.info/articles/20120214.htm>;
<http://chomsky.info/articles/20120215.htm>.

--CGE

Obama embraces Romney advisor's theory on 'The Myth of American Decline'
Posted By Josh Rogin Thursday, January 26, 2012

President Barack Obama is personally enamored with a recent essay
written by neoconservative writer Bob Kagan, an advisor to Mitt
Romney, in which Kagan argues that the idea the United States is in
decline is false.
"The renewal of American leadership can be felt across the globe,"
Obama said in his State of the Union address Tuesday evening. "From
the coalitions we've built to secure nuclear materials, to the
missions we've led against hunger and disease; from the blows we've
dealt to our enemies, to the enduring power of our moral example,
America is back."

"Anyone who tells you otherwise, anyone who tells you that America is
in decline or that our influence has waned, doesn't know what they're
talking about," Obama said.

Just hours earlier on Tuesday, in an off-the-record meeting with
leading news anchors, including ABC's George Stephanopoulos and NBC's
Brian Williams, Obama drove home that argument using an article
written in the New Republic by Kagan titled "The Myth of American
Decline."

Obama liked Kagan's article so much that he spent more than 10 minutes
talking about it in the meeting, going over its arguments paragraph by
paragraph, National Security Council spokesman Tommy Vietor confirmed
to The Cable.

National Security Advisor Tom Donilon will also discuss Kagan's essay
and Obama's love of it Thursday night with Charlie Rose on PBS.

Kagan's article examines and then sets out to debunk each of the
arguments that America is in decline, which include commonly held
assumptions that America's power and influence are waning due to its
economic troubles, the rise of other world powers, the failure of U.S.
efforts to solve big problems like the Middle East conflict, and the
seeming inability of the U.S. government to tackle problems.

"Much of the commentary on American decline these days rests on rather
loose analysis, on impressions that the United States has lost its
way, that it has abandoned the virtues that made it successful in the
past, that it lacks the will to address the problems it faces.
Americans look at other nations whose economies are now in better
shape than their own, and seem to have the dynamism that America once
had, and they lament, as in the title of Thomas Friedman's latest
book, that ‘that used to be us,'" Kagan writes.

But Kagan argues that the United States has gone through several
similarly challenging periods in the past and has always managed to
rebound and come out ahead. He writes that American decline is a risk,
and a dangerous one at that, but by no means is it a foregone
conclusion.

"In the end, the decision is in the hands of Americans," he writes.
"Decline, as Charles Krauthammer has observed, is a choice. It is not
an inevitable fate-at least not yet. Empires and great powers rise and
fall, and the only question is when. But the when does matter. Whether
the United States begins to decline over the next two decades or not
for another two centuries will matter a great deal, both to Americans
and to the nature of the world they live in."

For the White House, the Kagan article, and the forthcoming book it's
based on, The World America Made, offer the perfect rebuttal to GOP
accusations that Obama has willingly presided over a period of
American decline or has been "leading from behind" on foreign policy.

Romney hits on this theme often, such as when he said in a December
debate, "Our president thinks America is in decline. It is if he's
president, it's not if I'm president."

In his foreign policy white paper, Romney states clearly that he
believes that Obama has resigned himself to American decline.

"A perspective has been gaining currency, including within high
councils of the Obama administration, that regards the United States
as a power in decline. And not only is the United States regarded as
in decline, but that decline is seen as both inexorable and a
condition that can and should be managed for the global good rather
than reversed," the white paper reads.

But as the economy slowly improves, that argument is harder to make,
and the Obama campaign is now trying to use Romney's own assessment
against him.

"Governor Romney may be rooting for slips and falls here. We're
concentrating on moving this economy forward," Obama's political
advisor David Axelrod said earlier this month.

The fact that it is Kagan refuting Romney's argument is especially
sweet for the White House, because Kagan is a special advisor to the
Romney campaign on national security and foreign policy.

Contacted by The Cable, Kagan said he was pleased Obama liked his
essay and he is further pleased that Obama is not resigned to an
America in decline.

"I think it's important that the president also doesn't see the nation
in decline and I hope his policies reflect that and not the idea we
should be accommodating American decline as a lot of people are
recommending," said Kagan. "I hope he rejects that and still believes
we should provide the kind of leadership we are capable of."

Kagan is currently a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution and a
columnist for the Washington Post.