[Peace-discuss] Robert Wright @ The Atlantic: Ron Paul looks at US foreign policy from the perspective of the Other

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Wed Jan 11 11:08:28 CST 2012

Indeed, anyone can do it, and we all should; not just in case of Iran,
but in other cases. But Ron Paul could be taking it to a new level,
simply because he has a very big public megaphone right now. Being a
serious candidate for President gives you a very big megaphone. It's
one thing to have this conversation about US foreign policy, when you
can consider it from the point of view of the other. It's another
thing to have it within earshot of the broad public.

That video about Chinese troops in Texas? When I shared it, it had
98,000 views on YouTube. Now it has 760,423 views.
http://youtu.be/XKfuS6gfxPY

By the way, there was a very nice example the other day of the broad
public seeing US foreign policy from the point of view of the Other.
The mother of the last US soldier killed in Iraq said, I'm not going
to say whether his sacrifice was worth it, because "Only the Iraqi
people can answer that."

NC soldier, 23, was last US troop killed in Iraq
http://news.yahoo.com/nc-soldier-23-last-us-troop-killed-iraq-145741944.html