[Peace-discuss] Blum's lighthearted forecast for 2112

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sat Jan 14 12:49:21 CST 2012

The US campaign of international terrorism against Latin America from
the Kennedy administration on "was in substantial measure a war
against the church."  The ranks of those who held office in the church
- priests and bishops (including the bishop of Rome) were conflicted
on the matter, some identifying with the aggressor. On the other side
were priests such as the Jesuit martyrs and Bishop Romero; there were
many who thought like them, which was what so terrified the US
government.

"There has been much debate about who deserves credit for the fall of
the Berlin wall, but there is none about the responsibility for the
brutal demolition" of Liberation Theology: it was the US government.

In fact, Liberation Theology survives and is reviving in Latin
America: <http://ncronline.org/news/global/conference-looks-future-liberation-theology
 >. And it is quietly being promoted by the current pope, whose public
statements on the economy (the 2009 encyclical Caritas in Veritate and
the 2011 statement Towards Reforming the International Financial and
Monetary Systems in the Context of Global Public Authority) promote
the "redistribution of wealth" (his phrase) in a manner far to the
left of any American liberal politician. Pope Benedict's official
bibliographer, the bishop of Regensburg (recently promoted cardinal),
is a protege of Gustavo Gutierrez, the Peruvian priest whose book A
Theology of Liberation (1971) gave a name to a popular movement.