[Peace-discuss] Nick Turse on drones (from TomDispatch via Mother Jones)

Stuart Levy salevy at illinois.edu
Mon Jan 23 14:30:35 CST 2012

I think this is the article Rohn mentioned at yesterday's AWARE meeting.

Nick Turse looks at the US military drone program, drawing on ~70 Air
Force incident reports of catastrophic drone mishaps since 2000. The
article, originally in TomDispatch and republished in Mother Jones:

http://motherjones.com/politics/2012/01/future-robot-warfare-drones-crashing

"The aerial disasters described draw attention not only to the technical
limitations of drone warfare, but to larger conceptual flaws inherent in
such operations."

[...]

"Over the last decade, the United States has increasingly turned to
drones in an effort to win its wars. The Air Force investigation files
examined by TomDispatch suggest a more extensive use of drones in Iraq
than has previously been reported. But in Iraq, as in Afghanistan,
America's preeminent wonder weapon failed to bring the US mission
anywhere close to victory. Effective as the spearhead of a program to
cripple al-Qaeda in Pakistan, drone warfare in that country's tribal
borderlands has also alienated almost the entire population of 190
million. In other words, an estimated 2,000 suspected or identified
guerrillas (as well as untold numbers of civilians) died."

[...]