[Peace-discuss] [Peace] Fwd: Tonight on Charlie Rose - Capitalism in Crisis

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Jul 27 12:08:24 UTC 2012

I mentioned it because it was unusual to have two leading Left scholars on PBS, even in a half-hour segment with the awful C. Rose...

Things in the academy, esp. graduate school, have changed radically since you (&, a few years earlier, I) graduated from college, John.

I remember the laughter at the dinner table one night my senior year when it was announced that an unpopular contemporary had not got into grad school as the rest of us had, and was forced to got to law school, poor guy. (He became a federal judge.) "...but that was in another country, / And besides, the wench is dead."

The last few years have been dominated by a discussion typified by the notorious article "Graduate School in the Humanities: Just Don't Go" <http://chronicle.com/article/Graduate-School-in-the/44846/>. It's certainly true that the university, particularly in the 'humanities,' has changed beyond all recognition to my neophyte eyes - and at an accelerating rate. Far from escaping the brutal financialization of the economy in almost 40 years of Neoliberalism, it's to some extent led the way. Corruptio optimi pessima, as we humanists like to say...

Perhaps we can take comfort from the great spirits of the European intellectual tradition who've been forced out of the university, from Erasmus thru Marx...

Chomsky says that when he was doing his initial work in linguistics, he had to learn some math (recursive functions, I think), which he had no training in. At about the same time he started writing about politics. When he talked to mathematicians, they wanted to know if he got the right answer; when he talked to historians, they wanted to know where he had got his degree...  --CGE