[Peace-discuss] [sf-core] WI shows why Obama will probably lose

C. G. Estabrook cge at shout.net
Thu Jun 7 02:51:45 UTC 2012

Democrats and labor types are coming up with a lot of excuses for
Scott Walker’s victory in Wisconsin. Not all are worthless. But the
excuse-making impulse should be beaten down with heavy sticks.

Yes, money mattered. Enormous amounts of cash poured in, mainly from
right-wing tycoons, to support Walker’s effort to snuff public
employee unions. While these sorts of tycoons—outside the Wall Street/
Fortune 500 establishment—have long been the funding base for right-
wing politics, they seem to have grown in wealth, number,
consciousness, and mobilization since their days funding the John
Birch Society and the Goldwater movement in the 1950s and 1960s.

But lingering too long on the money explanation is too easy. Several
issues must be stared down. One is the horrible mistake of channelling
a popular uprising into electoral politics. As I wrote almost a year
ago:

It’s the same damn story over and over. The state AFL-CIO chooses
litigation and electoral politics over popular action, which dissolves
everything into mush. Meanwhile, the right is vicious, crafty, and
uncompromising. Guess who wins that sort of confrontation?

Please prove me wrong someday, you sad American “left.”

At this point, few things would make me happier to say than I’d been
proven wrong. But I wasn’t.

There were several things wrong with the electoral strategy (beyond,
that is, the weakness of electoral strategies to begin with). Barrett
was an extremely weak candidate who’d already once lost to Walker
(though by a slightly narrower margin than this time). Potentially
stronger candidates like Russ Feingold refused to run, probably out of
fear of these results. And the bar was very high for a recall. Only 19
states have recall provisions, and Walker was just the third governor
to face one. Well over half of Wisconsin voters think that recalls
should be reserved only for misconduct—and less than a third approve
of recalls for any reason other than misconduct.

Suppose instead that the unions had supported a popular campaign—
media, door knocking, phone calling—to agitate, educate, and organize
on the importance of the labor movement to the maintenance of living
standards? If they’d made an argument, broadly and repeatedly, that
Walker’s agenda was an attack on the wages and benefits of the
majority of the population? That it was designed to remove organized
opposition to the power of right-wing money in politics? That would
have been more fruitful than this major defeat.

It is a defeat. It is not, as that idiot Ed Schultz said on MSNBC last
night, an opportunity for regroupment. (Didn’t hear it myself, but it
was reported by a reliable source on the Twitter.) Because in the wise
and deservedly famous words of Ralph Waldo Emerson, “When you strike
at a king, you must kill him.” When you don’t, you look like a fool
if you’re lucky. More likely, you’ll find your head in a noose.

And as much as it hurts to admit this, labor unions just aren’t very
popular. In Gallup’s annual poll on confidence in institutions,
unions score close to the bottom of the list, barely above big
business and HMOs but behind banks. More Americans—42%—would like
to see unions have less influence, and just 25% would like to see them
have more. Despite a massive financial crisis and a dismal job market,
approval of unions is close to an all-time low in the 75 years Gallup
has been asking the question. A major reason for this is that twice as
many people (68%) think that unions help mostly their members as think
they help the broader population (34%). Amazingly, in Wisconsin, while
only about 30% of union members voted for Walker, nearly half of those
living in union households but not themselves union members voted for
him (Union voters ≠ union households). In other words, apparently
union members aren’t even able to convince their spouses that the
things are worth all that much.

A major reason for the perception that unions mostly help insiders is
that it’s true. Though unions sometimes help out in living wage
campaigns, they’re too interested in their own wages and benefits and
not the needs of the broader working class. Public sector workers
rarely make common cause with the consumers of public services, be
they schools, health care, or transit.

Since 2000, unions have given over $700 million to Democrats—$45
million of it this year alone. What do they have to show for it?
Imagine if they’d spent that sort of money, say, lobbying for single-
payer day-in, day-out, everywhere.

So what now? Most labor people, including some fairly radical ones,
detest Bob Fitch’s analysis of labor’s torpor. By all means, read
his book Solidarity for Sale for the full analysis. But a taste of it
can be gotten ... from his interview with Michael Yates of Monthly
Review. A choice excerpt:

Essentially, the American labor movement consists of 20,000 semi-
autonomous local unions. Like feudal vassals, local leaders get their
exclusive jurisdiction from a higher level organization and pass on a
share of their dues. The ordinary members are like the serfs who pay
compulsory dues and come with the territory. The union bosses control
jobs—staff jobs or hiring hall jobs—the coin of the political
realm. Those who get the jobs—the clients—give back their
unconditional loyalty. The politics of loyalty produces,
systematically, poles of corruption and apathy. The privileged
minority who turn the union into their personal business. And the vast
majority who ignore the union as none of their business.

Bob thought that the whole model of American unionism, in which unions
were given exclusive rights to bargain over contracts in closed shops,
was a major long-term source of weakness. I find it persuasive; many
don’t. But whatever you think of that analysis of the past is rapidly
becoming irrelevant. Collective bargaining has mostly disappeared in
the private sector, and now looks doomed in the public sector. There
are something like 23 states with Republican governors and legislative
majorities ready to imitate Walker who will be emboldened by his
victory. And there are a lot of Dems ready to do a Walker Lite. If
they don’t disappear, public sector unions will soon become powerless.

That means that if unions ever want to turn things around—and I’m
old-fashioned enough to believe that we’ll never have a better
society without a reborn labor movement—they have to learn to operate
in this new reality. Which means learning to act politically, to
agitate on behalf of the entire working class and not just a
privileged subset with membership cards.

[LBO News from Doug Henwood]