[Peace-discuss] [OccupyCU] sleepwalking into the drone age - "I Met a 16-Year-Old Kid. 3 Days Later Obama Killed Him"

C. G. Estabrook cge at shout.net
Wed Jun 20 20:41:32 UTC 2012

Suppose there was demonstration in Berlin in 1942 with banners reading
WAR IS NOT GOOD FOR CHILDREN AND OTHER LIVING THINGS and WAR DESTROYS
FAMILIES.

Would the authorities suppress it? Or would they trust that those
banners would be interpreted as a critique of those foreigners who had
thrust war upon Germany, which after all was trying to bring the war
to an end, and wanted only to defend its citizens and those others
whom it had taken under its protection. (See the Amnesty International
demonstration in Chicago at the time of the Nato meeting for an
analogue.)

I think AWARE should avoid the ambiguity involved in deploring war in
general; if nothing else, it's unnecessary - who after all celebrates
it?  We should instead point out to our fellow citizens - many of whom
are unaware of the fact - that our government is today committing what
the International Military Tribunal at Nuremberg, which followed World
War II, called "essentially an evil thing ... not only an
international crime [but]  the supreme international crime, differing
only from other war crimes in that it contains within itself the
accumulated evil of the whole" - that is, aggressive war.

Now "the accumulated evil of the whole" includes Obama's purposely
killing kids: he can hardly claim that they're just accidentally there
when he attacks their families.