[Peace-discuss] Fw: [cchcc-l] TAKE ACTION: Petition Governor Quinn to Establish the Illinois Health Benefits Exchange!

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 26 19:07:41 UTC 2012

--- On Mon, 6/25/12, Champaign County Health Care Consumers <cchcc at healthcareconsumers.org> wrote:

From: Champaign County Health Care Consumers <cchcc at healthcareconsumers.org>
Subject: [cchcc-l] TAKE ACTION: Petition Governor Quinn to Establish the Illinois Health Benefits Exchange!
To: cchcc-l at lists.shout.net
Date: Monday, June 25, 2012, 2:51 PM

Dear Friends,

Champaign County Health Care Consumers (CCHCC) is writing you today with
updates on Illinois' efforts to establish a Health Benefits Exchange and
how YOU can TAKE ACTION by adding your name to CCHCC's petition to Governor
Quinn. We are calling on him to use his power as Governor to issue an
Executive Order to Establish the Illinois Health Benefits Exchange.

Illinois legislators have been working towards passing a law to establish
the Health Benefits Exchange, also known as the Marketplace. Unfortunately,
they have not been able to pass that legislation and the 2012 spring
legislative session has now ended.

Because there is a short window of time for states to create their
Exchanges, CCHCC joined over 100 other organizations across the state in
signing a letter (organized by Campaign for Better Health Care) to Governor
Quinn calling on him to establish the exchange through executive order.

We need Governor Quinn to act quickly to establish the Illinois Health
Benefits Exchange to ensure that Illinois does not miss key funding
opportunities and deadlines. Please read on to find out how YOU can take
action, followed by more information on Health Benefit Exchanges.

* * * * * * * * * *
TAKE ACTION

1. Add your name to CCHCC's petition calling on Governor Quinn to
establish the Health Benefits Exchange in Illinois! CCHCC will deliver the
petition to Governor Quinn's office.

http://signon.org/sign/call-to-governor-quinn

2. Call Governor Quinn and tell him to establish a pro-consumer Illinois
Health Benefits Exchange using an Executive Order!

Springfield Office: (217) 782-0244 or Chicago Office: (312) 814-2121

Sample Script:

"Hi. My name is _<name>_, and I am calling from _<town, IL>_. I am calling
on Governor Quinn to use his power to issue an Executive Order to create a
pro-consumer Health Exchange in Illinois today. The Exchange should be set
up so that no insurance representatives serve on the Board, insurance
companies should help pay for the Exchange, and the Exchange must have the
power to negotiate with insurance companies to contain costs."

* * * * * * * * * *

WHAT IS A HEALTH BENEFITS EXCHANGE?

As part of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (national health
reform) enacted in March 2010, each state can establish a competitive
insurance marketplace - the Health Benefits Exchange - to assist consumers
and small businesses in purchasing health insurance starting in 2014.
States can opt to join a regional exchange or not establish their own
exchange. If a state does not establish an exchange in time or chooses not
to establish one, the federal government will run and oversee that state's
exchange. However, it is in each state's best interest to establish a
Health Benefits Exchange to ensure that its residents have the best
exchange customized for their geographic area and states will receive
federal grant funding and enhanced Medicaid reimbursement by operating
their own exchanges.

Through the Health Exchange, consumers will be able to:
 * Compare health insurance prices and options;
 * Enroll in Medicaid (for those who qualify);
 * Qualify for premium subsidies through the federal government (if
eligible); and
 * Purchase health insurance.

Health insurance plans within the exchange are:
 * Provided by private insurance companies;
 * Subject to certain standards and regulations; and
 * Must include an "essential benefits" package as established as part of
national health reform.

Ultimately, Health Benefits Exchanges will allow for:
 * Those who are uninsured to receive health insurance coverage;
 * Those with insurance to qualify for subsidies and tax credits; and
 * Small businesses to be able to find more affordable plans for their
employees.

Members of Congress will even be using the exchanges to purchase their
insurance, just like everyone else!

For more information on the consumer benefits of establishing a Health
Benefits Exchange, please download the "Why We Need A Health Insurance
Exchange" pdf document by Families USA at:

http://familiesusa2.org/assets/pdfs/health-reform/Benefits-of-Exchanges.pdf

So far, fifteen states have established a Health Benefits Exchange. While
many of these states passed legislation to establish their exchanges, two
states - Rhode Island and New York - established these exchanges through an
Executive Order issued by their Governor. You can follow the development of
Health Exchanges across the country using Kaiser Family Foundation's Health
Reform Source at:

http://statehealthfacts.kff.org/comparemaptable.jsp?ind=962&cat=17

* * * * * * * * * *

On behalf of Champaign County Health Care Consumers, we thank you for
taking action to ensure that Illinoisans have access to quality and
affordable health care through a pro-consumer Health Benefits Exchange!

Sincerely,

Champaign County Health Care Consumers
Champaign County Health Care Consumers
44 E. Main Street  Suite 208