[Peace-discuss] Feminists for Life on ACA

C. G. Estabrook cge at shout.net
Thu Jun 28 22:37:17 UTC 2012

Feminists for Life of America

June 28, 2012
Feminists for Life on the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act

Feminists for Life has never pretended to have expertise in the
delivery of health care services. We do not.  But we have heard the
voices of women who mourn from their abortion. We listen to the
victims of sexual assault and domestic violence. We hear the needs of
women who are pregnant and need help. And we listen to the pleas of
parents and birthparents.

Like most Americans, we are pleased with some key elements of the
Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act as they relate to our
mission, which is to systematically address the unmet needs of women
that would otherwise drive them to abortion-especially practical
resources and support.  So we are pleased that parents may keep their
children on their health care until age 26, especially since so many
are in college.  And we are pleased that preexisting conditions will
not exclude victims of domestic violence from obtaining coverage.

Feminists for Life does not support abortion because it is both anti-
woman and anti-child. Therefore we do not support abortion coverage in
health care.

Two years ago President Obama signed an executive order banning
federal funding for abortions in health care reform and extended the
restrictions to the newly created health care insurance exchanges.

Under the current law, federal funds cannot go toward abortion except
in cases of rape, incest and when the life of the pregnant woman is at
risk.  However, in March 2012, the US Department of Health and Human
Services issued a final rule regarding establishment of the state
health care exchanges required under the Patient Protection and
Affordable Care Act (PL 111-148):

A health insurance exchange is a set of state-regulated and
standardized health care plans in the United States, from which
individuals may purchase health insurance eligible for federal
subsidies. Under Federal law, all exchanges must be fully certified
and operational by January 1, 2014.

As authorized by P.L. 111-148, the final rule provides for taxpayer
funding of insurance coverage that includes elective abortion. This
departure from the longstanding policy is accomplished through an
accounting arrangement described in the Affordable Care Act and
reiterated in the final rule.

To comply with the accounting requirement, plans will collect a $1
abortion surcharge from each premium payer. The enrollee will make two
payments, $1 per month for abortion and another payment for the rest
of the services covered. As described in the rule, the surcharge can
only be disclosed to the enrollee at the time of enrollment.
Furthermore, insurance plans may only advertise the total cost of the
premiums without disclosing that enrollees will be charged a $1 per
month fee to pay directly to subsidize abortions.

If abortion were such a great thing, why keep this coverage such a
secret?
The final rule mentioned, but did not address concerns about abortion
coverage in "multi-state" plans administered by the Federal
Government's Office of Personal Management (OPM). There is nothing in
the Affordable Care Act to prevent some OPM (government administered)
plans from covering elective abortion, and questions remain about
whether OPM multi-state plans will include elective abortion. If such
plans do include abortion, there are concerns that the abortion
coverage will even be offered in states that have prohibited abortion
coverage in their state exchanges. The final rule indicates "Specific
standards for multi-state plans will be described in future rulemaking
published by OPM..."
To coverage for abortifacients, FFL is concerned that coverage could
expand to RU-486, known to have caused the death of women as well as
unborn children.
Multi-state plans run by the Office of Personnel Management that are
subsidized partially by taxpayers--and against the will of many--will
still be allowed to cover abortion.
Funding for abortion training is not excluded from the Teaching Health
Graduate Medical Education program.  We oppose forcing of medical
students to be trained in abortion or forcing them to watch or
participate in the procedure. (Although they must learn about it in
order to save women who are injured from the medical and surgical
abortions.)
The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act has no conscience
protection for individuals or employers like Feminists for Life.
Good upon bad is never good enough. Therefore, we urge our elected
leaders to remember the woman--as well as the child-and resolve the
problems while still implementing pro-woman, pro-child solutions.

Because women deserve better,

Serrin M. Foster
President

"Abortion is a reflection that we have not met the needs of women.
Women deserve better than abortion."
REFUSE TO CHOOSE®
WOMEN DESERVE BETTER®

Say NO to the Status QuoTM

Feminists for Life is a nonpartisan, nonsectarian, 501(c)3 organization.
All donations and membership contributions are tax deductible to the
extent allowed by law.

Refuse to Choose and Women Deserve Better are registered trademarks
of Feminists for Life of America.