[Peace-discuss] war-themed videogames vs. actual war

Rohn Koester rohnkoester at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 08:36:50 CST 2012

Yesterday, I came across "Call of Apathy: Violent Young Men and Our Place
in War," written by an experienced private military "contractor." The
author compares war-themed videogames to actual warfare. Comments below the
article are also worth reading.

Certainly war-themed videogames deserve all the criticism heaped on them --
for normalizing violence, for indoctrinating the next generation with false
images and narratives, for pre-training future soldiers. Just to put this
into perspective economically, the videogame Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
3, released in November 2011 by Activision, earned $650 million *in
pre-orders*.

http://www.mediumdifficulty.com/2012/03/01/call-of-apathy-violent-young-men-and-our-place-in-war/

rk