[Peace-discuss] State & anarchism

C. G. Estabrook cge at shout.net
Fri Mar 9 08:36:51 UTC 2012

QUESTION: Your ultimate political goal is anarchistic, the erosion of
state institutions and any form of authoritarian control. But you have
also recognised the need to defend some forms of state regulation as
protection against a wholly unregulated market. Can you say more on
how you view this two-edged process of possible political
transformation?

CHOMSKY: I'm not in favour of people being in cages. On the other hand
I think people ought to be in cages if there's a sabre-toothed tiger
wandering around outside and if they go out of the cage the sabre-
toothed tiger will kill them. So sometimes there's a justification for
cages. That doesn't mean cages are good things. State power is a good
example of a necessary cage. There are sabre-toothed tigers outside;
they are called transnational corporations which are among the most
tyrannical totalitarian institutions that human society has devised.
And there is a cage, namely the state, which to some extent is under
popular control. The cage is protecting people from predatory
tyrannies so there is a temporary need to maintain the cage, and even
to extend the cage.

[Interview by Kate Soper, Red Pepper, August, 1998]