[Peace-discuss] "Kony" propaganda

Rohn Koester rohnkoester at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 14:27:42 UTC 2012

David, the movement (which admittedly I know very little about) seems to be
calling for the arrest of a war criminal. From the front page of the
website: " JOSEPH KONY IS ONE OF THE WORLD’S WORST WAR CRIMINALS AND I
SUPPORT THE INTERNATIONAL EFFORT TO ARREST HIM, DISARM THE LRA AND BRING
THE CHILD SOLDIERS HOME."

You are not sure that a poster should be on a lamp post in front of a high
school . . . because he don't like the *implications* of the message? Would
it change your mind if high school students were actually the ones who
composed the message and hung the posters? That this was their first overt
political act because the child-killer message resonated with them? Seems
plausible to me. Whatever the case, taking down someone's political posters
creates the sort of message gap that generates a lot of misunderstanding
and hostility.

Rohn