[Peace-discuss] Next steps for Bradley Manning

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 12 23:59:58 UTC 2012

A worthy cause. Pls forward widely.

--- On Mon, 3/12/12, Brian Sonenstein, Firedoglake.com <act at firedoglake.com> wrote:

Firedoglake.com

		Help Firedoglake Cover Bradley Manning's Pre-Trial Motions, March 15th 2012

	Jenifer,

	Firedoglake reporter Kevin Gosztola will be back in Ft. Meade, Maryland this week to cover Bradley Manning’s pre-trial motions, set to begin March 15th.

	During these pre-trial motions, the prosecution and defense will argue which kinds of evidence and witnesses should and should not be allowed in the trial.

	The government successfully denied Bradley’s defense from calling 38 key witnesses during the Article 32 pre-trial hearing and it would not be surprising if they tried to do it again.1 We need to remain vigilant against the government’s efforts limit Bradley’s legal defense and unjustly lock him away.

	The boundaries set during pre-trial motions are critical to defining the shape and substance of Bradley’s court martial, and we think it’s really important we have Kevin there to cover the events as they unfold. Can you chip in $10 or more to help Kevin Gosztola continue his premier coverage of the Bradley Manning trial?

	Donate $10 or more to help us send Kevin Gosztola to Ft. Meade and continue our coverage of the Bradley Manning trial.

	Your past contributions have allowed us to spread Kevin’s unparallelled reporting on Bradley Manning worldwide, exposing his profoundly inhumane treatment at Quantico, the government’s ongoing and vindictive campaign to paint him as a traitor and the total lack of honest debate surrounding his case and the allegations against him in the media.

	By telling Bradley's story, we're building serious opposition to the government's efforts to severely punish him for his alleged actions. Just this week, UN Special Rapporteur on Torture Juan Mendez published a report that concluded the US had at least subjected Bradley to cruel and inhumane treatment during his 11-month isolation at Quantico.2 Mendez wrote that he was unable to verify whether Bradley was actually tortured by the government because the Pentagon had repeatedly refused to grant him private meetings with the prisoner.

	Over 200 participants at Fresh Juice Party's recent Occupy the Truth: Whistleblowers Conference (aka TruthCon) came together to raise over $2,500 in support of Bradley Manning. TruthCon's donation to our coverage greatly aids our efforts to raise awareness for Bradley's trial, and we are so honored to receive such support from Fresh Juice Party and all of the activists and whistleblowers doing such admirable work in the fight to protect civil liberties.3

	The charges facing Bradley Manning are serious. He could spend the rest of his life in prison, face dishonorable discharge, forfeiture of all pay and a reduction in rank if found guilty of his alleged crimes. The charges and potential punishment in this case could have damaging repercussions for future generations of activists, whistle blowers and journalists everywhere.

	Please help us continue to fight for fair justice for Bradley Manning by supporting Kevin Gosztola’s coverage of his case from Ft. Meade.

	Donate $10 or more to support our coverage of Bradley Manning’s case from Ft. Meade, Maryland.

	Thank you so much for all you’ve done and continue to do on behalf of Bradley Manning. Please look out for Kevin’s coverage of Bradley’s trial on March 15th at Firedoglake’s Dissenter blog, http://dissenter.firedoglake.com

	In solidarity,

	Brian Sonenstein

	Director of Online Activism,

	Firedoglake.com

	1. Government Opposes Bradley Manning Defense Witness Requests. Wired, 12/8/11.

	2. Bradley Manning's treatment was cruel and inhuman, UN torture chief rules. Guardian, 3/12/12.

	3. Last year, the Fresh Juice Party protested a $5,000-a-plate Obama fundraiser, capturing the infamous video of our president proclaiming Bradley Manning "broke the law," months before his hearing.

Firedoglake's community of 350,000 activists is supported by small donations from people like you.
Can you chip in to keep us strong? Click here to contribute.

This email was sent to: jencart13 at yahoo.com