[Peace-discuss] Letter of Endorsement Promote Roadway Safety Driving Licenses and Insurance for All

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Fri May 4 03:03:26 UTC 2012

[I am not sure I agree with forcing people to get an Illinois drivers
license, but I do agree that Illinois should be forced to provide
drivers' licenses to people who want one, whether they have a social
security number or not. -karen medina]

[The following is from an endorsement letter put out by ICIRR:
Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights]

Letter of Endorsement
Promote Roadway Safety
Driving Licenses and Insurance for All

Approximately 250,000 Illinois immigrant drivers cannot get a license
because they are ineligible to get Social Security numbers. These
uninsured drivers are involved in an estimated 76,000 accidents each
year, costing $630 million in damage claims.

   I, ____________________________________________ (Print name),

   ______________________________________________(Print title), of

          _________________________________________________ (Print
organization, municipality or other institution)

endorse Driver's Licenses for all motorists in Illinois. Requiring all
Illinois motorists to get driving licenses and purchase insurance will
improve roadway safety. These drivers will get tested on their driving
skills and and the rules of the road, and will be compelled to
purchase insurance.

I also commit to:
[...]
__ Attending May 8th Lobby Day
[...]

Please fax or email to Stephen Smith, Illinois Coalition for Immigrant
and Refugee Rights
Fax: (312) 332-7044, Tel: (312) 332-7360 extension 214, ssmith at icirr.org