[Peace-discuss] call Tim toll-free against AIPAC Iran resolution, on the schedule in the House today

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Tue May 15 19:53:00 UTC 2012

the below is from FCNL. The House is supposed to consider under
"suspension" - i.e. "non-controversial measures" requiring a two-thirds
majority - AIPAC's "lower the bar for war with Iran" resolution. Seeing as
how Tim is a leader now against the war in Afghanistan - he is speaking at
a press conference tomorrow sponsored by Rep. Barbara Lee, the only
Republican in the lineup - I am hopeful that he will view this bill with
the same eye. Particularly since he is retiring anyway and has nothing to
fear from AIPAC. I just left my message, and the staffer, at least, got the
idea that if you are against the Afghanistan war, you should oppose AIPAC's
push for war with Iran.

----

Here’s the number: 855-68 NO WAR (855-686-6927) and I’m copying our
previous call-in alert on H.res. 568 below.  Also, I’m attaching a letter
from faith leaders against H.Res.
568<http://fcnl.org/issues/iran/8_groups_to_congress_oppose_push_for_war_with_iran/>,
highlighting a number of expert
quotes<http://fcnl.org/issues/iran/all_the_new_senate_bill_is_saying_is_give_war_a_chance/>against
it.
****

** **

http://fcnl.org/action/alert/2012/0306/****
*Do You Have Two Minutes to Stop War With Iran?*

Your representative is almost certainly being lobbied today to support a
resolution that would push the **U.S.** closer to a military attack on **
Iran** -- an attack which top ****U.S.**** and Israeli military experts
agree could result in a full-fledged war.****

Your calls to the Senate last week may have helped slow down the growth in
cosponsors to this resolution. Now we hope you can take just two minutes to
help stop this push toward war by calling your representative's office and
asking that he or she vote NO on H. Res.
568<http://capwiz.com/fconl/issues/bills/?bill=61064406>,
and speak out against war with ****Iran****.****

*Please call your representative TODAY using FCNL's special toll-free
number, 855-68-NO WAR (855-686-6927). Ask for your representative by name
and urge her or him to oppose House Resolution 568, the Berman/Ros-Lehtinen
resolution on Iran. *****

Here are talking points you can use.****

   - My name is _______ and I'm calling from _________****
   - I'm asking that Representative _______ vote "no" on House Resolution
   568, because it will increase the chances of a **U.S.** war with ****Iran
   ****. I also ask that Representative _____ speak out publicly against
   this resolution on the House floor.****
   - Thank you.****

The Senate has already received thousands of emails and more than 2,000
calls opposing S. Res. 380 <http://fcnl.org/action/alert/2012/0301/>,
companion legislation in the Senate that effectively endorses an attack on
a "nuclear weapons capable ****Iran****."****

*Why Now?*****

The American Israeli Public Affairs Committee has made lobbying for this
legislation in the House and the Senate one of the priorities for the more
than 10,000 people who are in town for their annual policy conference. Yet a
range of security
officials<http://fcnl.org/issues/iran/us_israeli_security_officials_warn_against_war_with_iran/>in
the
**United States** and in **Israel**  agree that the **United States** needs
to focus on negotiations with ****Iran****, not escalating the threat of
war.****

Please  take this message to your representative in the House, where this
bill could come to the floor as early as this week. So far, only 11
representatives have cosponsored this dangerous
bill<http://capwiz.com/fconl/issues/bills/?bill=61064406>,
yet the number of cosponsors is expected to skyrocket today unless Congress
hears an outpouring of opposition from people like you.****

*Green-Lighting War?*****

Most people in the **U.S.** know that war with **Iran** would be
devastating, and a recent poll found that the vast majority of Israelis
also understand the catastrophic consequences that would result from an
attack on ****Iran****.****

A host of top security
officials<http://fcnl.org/issues/iran/all_the_new_senate_bill_is_saying_is_give_war_a_chance/>are
warning that this resolution would gravely undermine diplomacy and
only
increase the "loose talk of war" with ****Iran**** which President Obama
warned against in his speech to AIPAC this week.****

According to Paul Pillar, a former top U.S. intelligence officer on Middle
East issues, the bill "blurs red lines in a way that may flash green lights
to Israel to launch a military attack on Iran" and also "walks the United
States farther down a path to launching its own war against Iran."****

*Please Spread the Word*****

House offices need to hear from you and others in your community now. After
you make your call, please****

   - Email 5 of your friends and ask them to call, or send a note to your
   community email list.****
   - If you haven't yet called the Senate, you can use the same number to
   reach both of your Senators' offices, and ask them to oppose S.
Res. 380. See
   if your senators have already cosponsored S. Res.
380<http://capwiz.com/fconl/issues/bills/?bill=61021076>.
   ****
   - Post this status update on Facebook <http://www.facebook.com>:

   Say no to war with ****Iran****: Reps will soon vote on dangerous
   legislation that increases the risk of war. Call your reps today at 855-68
   NO WAR (855-686-6927) and urge them to oppose H.Res. 568. ****
   - Tweet <https://twitter.com/> the phone number to your followers.****

Thank you for your action.****

 ****

Sincerely,****

****

******Jim Cason**
Associate Executive Secretary, Campaigns****

 ****

 ****

P.S. For more information, see the FCNL-led letter from 8 churches and
faith-based organizations<http://fcnl.org/issues/iran/8_groups_to_congress_oppose_push_for_war_with_iran/>calling
on Congress to oppose these dangerous resolutions, and stay posted
about FCNL's work to prevent war with Iran <http://fcnl.org/issues/iran/>.**
**

**

--