[Peace-discuss] rape denialism on the left: a case study

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Tue Nov 13 08:12:32 UTC 2012

I think that there is a crucial distinction to be made here.

When someone is accused of rape, that person is entitled to a legal
presumption of innocence, a fair trial, and every other legal right of a
criminal defendant. In terms of public comment, the person deserves
deference to those legal rights. So, yes, absolutely, "trial by media" is
wrong, as far as that is concerned.

However, the victim of a rape is also entitled to a presumption of
innocence. And that means that when people advocate for a defendant by
publicly attacking the victim, they cross a line. And it seems to me that
maintaining and enforcing this line is everyone's responsibility, just as
maintaining the right to a fair trial is everyone's responsibility.

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 6:27 AM, Jenifer Cartwright <jencart13 at yahoo.com>wrote:

> I hope you research this thoroughly before you go to press (i e start
> blogging, tweeting, facebooking, etc etc. Innocent until proven guilty,
> etc... trial by media, etc...

Robert Naiman
Policy Director
Just Foreign Policy