[Peace-discuss] Protests for and against Gaza massacre in San Francisco

"E. Wayne Johnson 朱稳森" ewj at pigsqq.org
Mon Nov 19 15:30:41 UTC 2012

It's sort of interesting to read TELawrence's take on the area and it's
people based on observations made almost 100 years ago,
and see how very little the attitude of the players has changed.
Lawrence doesnt speak very well of either the Palestinians or the Jews
but he does make some interesting observations about them.

    On the banks of the Jordan valley lived bitterly-suspicious colonies
    of Algerian refugees, facing villages of Jews. The Jews were of
    varied sorts. Some, Hebrew scholars of the traditionalist pattern,
    had developed a standard and style of living befitting the country:
    while the later comers, many of whom were German-inspired, had
    introduced strange manners, and strange crops, and European houses
    (erected out of charitable funds) into this land of Palestine, which
    seemed too small and too poor to repay in kind their efforts: but
    the land tolerated them. Galilee did not show the deep-seated
    antipathy to its Jewish colonists which was an unlovely feature of
    the neighbouring Judea.

    A...section in the latitude of Jerusalem would have begun with
    Germans and with German Jews, speaking German or German-Yiddish,
    more intractable even than the Jews of the Roman era, unable to
    endure contact with others not of their race, some of them farmers,
    most of them shopkeepers, the most foreign, uncharitable part of the
    whole population of Syria. Around them glowered their enemies, the
    sullen Palestine peasants, more stupid than the yeomen of North
    Syria, material as the Egyptians, and bankrupt.

    - TE Lawrence, "Seven Pillars of Wisdom", chapter LVIII, 1926.