[Peace-discuss] Fw: AWOL Micah Turner on the road; Brad McCall and Skyler James finally out

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 12 21:11:27 UTC 2012

Fyi...

--- On Fri, 10/12/12, Courage to Resist <courage at riseup.net> wrote:

From: Courage to Resist <courage at riseup.net>
Subject: AWOL Micah Turner on the road; Brad McCall and Skyler James finally out
To: jencart13 at yahoo.com
Date: Friday, October 12, 2012, 3:14 PM

AWOL Micah Turner on the road; Brad McCall and Skyler James finally out

Sgt. Turner, AWOL
on the road

"After four combat tours, I realized that the wars in Afghanistan and
Iraq were not for the causes that had been stated."

Resister Brad McCall finally out

Earlier
this year, Brad returned to the U.S. from seeking refuge in Canada and
has since been
discharged from the army. Here is Brad’s updated story.
Objector Skyler James' journey

"Upon deciding
to return to the US from Canada this May, Courage to Resist helped me in
many ways, like helping me find an attorney, assistance in finding
mental health providers, financially helping me."

Also: After being deported from Canada last month,
Army war resister Kimberly Rivera is now restricted to Fort Carson, Colorado, where she awaits the Army decision to either court martial or discharge her. More info coming soon.

Sgt. Micah Turner, AWOL and on the road
By Bob Meola, Courage to Resist. October 12, 2012

VIDEO: Sgt Micah Turner speaks out while AWOL

I had the honor of interviewing my new hero, Army Sgt. Micah Turner,
the other day.   Micah has been busy speaking truth to power, wherever
he can, since he went AWOL from the army last month.  Here is what he
told me:
“The reason I joined the army was because I was 19 and I was a
wild-land firefighter and I fell in love with the camaraderie, working
to achieve a common goal.  I wanted to serve my country in the best way I
could after 9-11.  I believed that we were attacked and I wanted to
defend my home.
"After four combat tours, I realized that the wars in Afghanistan and
Iraq were not for the causes that had been stated.  Everyone who was
blamed for 9-11 was dead or in jail and yet we were still subject to
war.   So, when returning from my post-deployment leave from my fourth
tour, I went AWOL..."
Read more...

Brad McCall, Iraq War resister finally out of Army
By Bob Meola, Courage to Resist. October 10, 1012
In 2006, Brad McCall joined the Regular Army Infantry.  For the
back-story on why he joined the Army and what led him to making his
decision to go to Canada, his 2007 interview with Courage to Resist can
be heard here.
Earlier
this year, Brad returned to the U.S. from seeking refuge in Canada and
was subsequently discharged from the army.  Here is Brad’s updated story...
"I would like to give thanks to Courage to Resist.  You guys helped me
on various occasions, the more recent occasion being when I arrived at
Fort Carson and didn't have a dime to my name, not knowing if I would be
paid or not. I was amazed and quite humbled to receive a donation of
400 dollars which kept me going for the weeks up until I did start
receiving pay.  For that, and the general moral support, thank you!
Keep up the good work guys!"
Read more...

The journey of war resister Skyler James
By Bob Meola, Courage to Resist. September 28, 2012
I recently interviewed Army War Resister, Skyler James. Skyler joined
the army in October, 2006. Her experience in the army facing harassment
and a death threat for being an open lesbian and hearing soldiers brag
about the inhuman and criminal things they did in Iraq and then being
told she would be deployed to Afghanistan, even though she should have
been discharged for being gay, until the time she went AWOL in October,
2007, about a year after joining it and her experience living in Canada
seeking refugee status and hoping not to be deported...
"Upon deciding
to return to the US from Canada this May, Courage to Resist helped me in
many ways, like helping me find an attorney, assistance in finding
mental health providers, financially helping me... as well as ongoing
support and just altogether being excellent. Thanks from the bottom of
my heart for everything!"
Read more...

Change email address / Leave mailing list