[Peace-discuss] opposing anti-voting measures in Champaign County

Michael Weissman mbwmbwmbw at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 20:56:58 UTC 2012

Regardless of how one feels about particular parties or candidates, I hope
that everyone on this list wants to stop the various steps that have been
used to prevent or discourage voting by minorities, students, etc. Gordy
Hulten has started a very unusual, almost unique, new policy to discourage
grace-period voting. Please circulate this widely so that:

1. People who need to grace-period vote (late registration) may have a
chance to deal with the current system.

2. Maybe we can pressure Hulten to allow the same simple same-day system as
almost all the rest of the state.

Please circulate this to other lists.

CANDIDATE CHARLIE SMYTH CALLS ON COUNTY CLERK TO
ALLOW SAME-DAY VOTING DURING GRACE PERIOD

Urbana, IL—Among Illinois’ 102 counties, Champaign County is the only
county where same-day voting is denied during Grace Period Registration and
Voting (October 10 through November 3). Citizens may register, but must
wait for an absentee ballot to be mailed to their address before voting.
Wayne Countyand McDonough County offer mixtures of absentee and same-day
voting, depending on the closeness
of the election and the staff’s workload, and the City of Bloomington’s
Election Commission has a policy similar to Champaign County, but the rest
of McLean County and every other county in the state allows or requires
same-day voting.

Charlie Smyth, Democratic candidate for County Clerk, says he will allow
same-day voting if he is elected:

Voting is the bedrock of our democracy. During the Grace Period, citizens
must go to the
County Clerk’s office, present a current state or federally issued photo ID
and proof of
address. Having satisfied the lawful requirements, they ought to be able to
vote right
then and there, as is done in the vast majority of counties throughout
Illinois.

The extra step of sending an absentee ballot costs taxpayer funds, adds
staff time, and
creates the risk that the voter's ballot will not be counted. Many citizens
who use Grace
Period voting will not have their votes counted unless the County Clerk
changes his
policy now, to allow Grace Period voters to vote as soon as he registers
them.

The most pervasive voting problem is that too many citizens who are
entitled to vote
are unable to do so. I call on the Champaign County Clerk to make the
needed change
now to ensure that no registered voters are disenfranchised in this
election.

Smyth also notes that the voter guide published in the News-Gazette
contains no information about Grace Period procedures. “If I am elected,”
Smyth continues, “I will bring Grace Period Registration and Voting
procedures in line with the rest of the state’s counties. I will make these
and other improved instructions available in future voter guides, on the
County Clerk’s web site, and other cost-effective venues. We need to do
more to encourage broad participation in our democratic process. ”

Charlie Smyth will be available for interviews today and will hold a press
conference on this and other voter registration irregularities in the
current Clark’s office Friday morning, Oct. 26, at 10:30 a.m. at the City
of Urbana Council Chambers, Urbana City Building, 400 S. Vine St.

--
Michael Weissman