[Peace-discuss] [sf-core] What are the chances?

C. G. Estabrook cge at shout.net
Mon Sep 3 15:50:12 UTC 2012

Mike--

Historians (and others) should pay attention to the dean of American revisionist historians, William Appleman Williams, who pointed out that the liberal account of the 1932 election (do-nothing Hoover supplanted by activist FDR) was a myth. The principal planks of the Democrats' 1932 platform were a call for a balanced budget and a condemnation of the incumbent administration's excessive spending. (Sound familiar?) It was the popular outcry and the extremity of the situation that reversed the course of the quite plastic Roosevelt. In 1933, certainly, politics were in the street, not the ballot box.

In fact, in an interesting example of the rule that the poets often get there first, the late Gore Vidal paints a far more accurate picture of that election in his novel "The Golden Age" than we learnt from American consensus-historians.

On the argument, "We must support the child-killer in the White House, or else Romney will appoint a bad judge to the Supreme Court!" - it should be unnecessary to note that these things are rather unpredictable: the liberal Warren court was the result of Republican appointments; the neoliberal business court that brought us deregulation was the result of Democratic appointments; and the liberals' bete noire Justice Scalia is the one SC member who has said unequivocally (anent Obama's unconstitutional assertion of the right to indefinite imprisonment without trial), "The very core of liberty secured by our Anglo-Saxon system of separated powers has been freedom from indefinite imprisonment at the will of the executive."

On the record, Scalia is more likely to keep whistle-blowers and thought-criminals out of Obama's jails than Stephen Breyer is.

In general, American historians have a lot to apologize for, in the years since the dean of the Harvard history department, Arthur Schlesinger, became the court jester of the Kennedy administration. (Some, like Appleman Williams, whom Schlesinger called a Communist in McCarthy time, did a much better job.)

Chomsky, who's not a mathematician, had to learn some math (recursion theory) to accomplish his revolution in linguistics, and at the same time he was puncturing these American ideological illusions (e.g., "On the Backgrounds of the Pacific War," 1967). His memory of that time is that academic mathematicians asked if he got the right answer; academic historians asked where he got his history degree...

Regards,

Carl