[Peace-discuss] [sf-core] What are the chances?

C. G. Estabrook cge at shout.net
Mon Sep 3 18:54:25 UTC 2012

Mike--

I'm certainly not insisting "that Romney is (or Hoover was) the better of the two choices."

I was suggesting that 1932 may be an example of a good (or at least better) outcome - in spite of the express positions of the two candidates. FDR ran on a platform contradictory to the New Deal, but he was forced to reverse it in office.

I may well want to be on the winning side (or rather want my side to win, which is not the same thing), but I don't suggest that necessarily happens by "heightening the contradictions"; rather by more of us seeing what the situation actually is, against the most effective propaganda system in history.

Vote away indeed, because it's (successfully) designed not to matter. That's why I disagree with so many of my liberal friends who seem passionately to think it does matter.

"The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate...

"Voting for reform-minded candidates should take about five minutes, and then we go back to the important work on the ground to change the conditions in which the mostly farcical election process proceeds." [Chomsky]

--Carl

PS - My reference to the child-killer in the White House had nothing to do with abortion, a matter in which Obama's views are hardly important, but with the very real corpses of children - including Americans - whom he's killed with his illegal drone strikes in six countries. Amazingly, he jokes about it - an indication of sociopathology or a guilty conscience? In any case, it's hard to see how one could in good conscience vote for an incumbent president with such a record of murder without in some degree being complicit with those murders. ("I support the Leader, but not the murders he's done"?)  But I suppose some may manage it.