[Peace-discuss] [OccupyCU] Finkelstein on Ghandi

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Sep 6 02:20:03 UTC 2012

Wayne--

Despite my distressing monoglot (or perhaps mongoloid) tendencies, I take it that "Quanbu jiushi yiyang" (全部就是一样?) is roughly the Chinese for the sainted Janis' lyric:

   "[If you got it today you don't want it tomorrow, man, 'cause you don't need it,
    'cause as a matter of fact, as we discovered on the train, tomorrow never happens, man.]
    It's all the same fucking day, man."

But if it's the same day - or the same thing - and In That Day...

I'm not an admirer of Lincoln - I was protected from that by growing up in Virginia - but he did seem to come to realize what the war, which he and his people had brought on, was:

	“Yet, if God wills that it continue until all the wealth piled by the bondman’s two hundred and fifty years of unrequited toil shall be sunk, and until every drop of blood drawn with the lash shall be paid by another drawn with the sword, as was said three thousand years ago, so still it must be said, ‘The judgements of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.’”

So it's hard to deny either your analysis or your prognosis. But I hope we can in fact be agnostic about the latter. And licensed gnostics like Strausbaugh (a NYT writer) offer diagnoses that remind one of H. L. Mencken's - without the winning smile. (Test: Mencken coined "ecdysiast" - from the Greek for "molt"; Strausbaugh coined  "colostomy-rock" for now-geriatric 1960s bands, like the Rolling Stones...)

So we can hope he's no better a prophet than Mencken was.

From the Booboisie, CGE