[Peace-discuss] Harper's Magazine article - Thomas Frank about Obama

David Johnson dlj725 at hughes.net
Sat Sep 8 23:32:57 UTC 2012

I went to Barnes and Noble this afternoon. I haven't been in a book store for months and I HATE going to a national corporate chain, but with the closing of Pages For All Ages I have NO choice. I looked through the selection of magazines.
Looking at the cover article titles I realized that magazines I used to consider on the LEFT and on the cutting edge of investigative journalism are now nothing but mouth pieces for the corporate controlled democratic party : Mother Jones, In These Times, and especially The Nation.
Where I am seeing cutting edge investigative, independent journalism are two magazines in particular that in years past I considered either somewhat conservative and / or not serious journalism.
That is, NOW, Rolling Stone and Harpers seem to be the only news stand publications that are serious about independent journalism.

Anyway, this months issue of Harpers has three really good articles. Two about Obama and one about Romney, none of them flatering.
One of the Obama articles that I highly recommend is the one by Thomas Frank (  Famous Book- " What's the Matter with Kansas " ) about Obama.
I think he was a little too easy on Obama in parts, but overall I would agree with 90 - 95 % of Thomas Frank's analysis.

Check it out !
I recommend the other two articles as well.

David Johnson