[Peace-discuss] [OccupyCU] [sf-core] Another Guantánamo prisoner death highlights Democrats' hypocrisy

Ingbert Schmidt ifloyd2 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 06:20:18 UTC 2012

Rachel can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe she is talking about
debates where one person has to be right, and the others wrong. Also known
as pecker-waving debates. Or bar conversations.

I'm personally more interested in constructive debate, where people present
different points of view, try to understand the positives and the negatives
of each, and come to a synthesis, which is not what I saw happening on
these lists. I'm also more interested in debates that deal with things we
can actually do something about. I hope that all of us plan to vote. I
trust the people on this list to do their own research and come to their
own conclusions. I have joined this list because I'm interested in changing
aspects of society that I cannot change on my own. I did not join this list
to change people's minds, and I do not see that as the purpose of this
list.

But I believe the implications of Ya'aqov's email are correct: I should
show up to meetings if I want to claim ownership over any kind of action,
or offer any critique, so I'm going to try and be done participating for
now, and will revert back to lurking until I can start coming to meetings
again. To clarify, I started participating at this moment motivated by
feelings of solidarity, and because I don't like bullying. And yes, Wayne,
you are bullying, by trying to goad her into a debate she has expressed
interest in not having and by ignoring the actual intent and spirit of her
statement. And yes, that's disrespectful.

Ingbert

Ingbert Schmidt
http://ingbert.org/     ||     skype/twitter/etc.: spacesoon

"Dream in a pragmatic way."