[Peace-discuss] Fwd: [ufpj-activist] Putin opens Benghazi door for Obama

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Sep 20 18:49:45 UTC 2012

Putin's statement has to be understood with reference to two principal points:

(1) "Russia's soft underbelly lies adjacent to the Middle East and is highly vulnerable to the winds of radical Islamism."  And Russia knows that the US has shown itself more than willing to use 'radical Islamism' - jihadis/Salafists/al-Qaeda - against Russia, from the Carter administration, when the US recruited Islamist fanatics to send into Afghanistan "to give the USSR a Vietnam of its own" (Brzezinski), up to and including the use of the same elements from Libya to Syria today. Obviously Putin wishes to do whatever he can to dissuade the Obama administration from this criminal policy.

(2) Russia is an energy exporter, China an avid energy importer. They have correspondingly different responses to the goal of US policy in the 'Greater Middle East,' viz., control of world energy flows. China has to be sure it doesn't succeed; Russia is in a position to do a deal with that perennial American policy. But it's hard to see how the US policy can succeed, and one roadblock (among several) is "terrorism" (i.e., the armed opposition - largely but by no means exclusively Islamist - to US domination of the world's greatest energy-producing region, the Greater Middle East - or "Central Command," as we like to call it).

It is hardly surprising that Russia should join the US in the "war on terror" (when terror is understood as that resistance, largely Islamic). And China's aloofness reflects the US/China energy competition.

In the US, both the Republican and Democrat parties can urge only more war, murder, and torture in pursuit of that constant US policy. The only political figure of any stature in the US who suggests something different is Ron Paul, e.g. <http://original.antiwar.com/paul/2012/09/17/intervention-backfires-in-libya/>. That's why his faction had to be suppressed at the Republican convention - after an attack by the Democrats! The 1% masters of both business parties cannot countenance Paul's anti-war anti-Wall St. program.

--CGE