[Peace-discuss] Obama administration's drone lies - and Durbin's drone hearing, now set for April 23rd

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 22:17:01 UTC 2013

> "For years, senior Obama officials, including the president himself, have been making public claims about their drone program that have just been proven to be categorically false."

Sen. Durbin is holding hearings on drone use and policy soon.   It's
encouraging that they're even undertaking such a thing - they are
empowered to ask questions that will make the Administration
uncomfortable, which it should be.  And maybe if pushed they will
actually do that.

[The hearings had been set for April 16th, but have now been postponed
to the 23rd... so there is more time to call Durbin's office!   I did,
last Friday, following Bob Naiman's suggestion below.    They report
having gotten a fair number of calls on drones already, let's send them
more!  ]

Robert Naiman spoke about doing just this at the ACLU-CU meeting last
weekend.   He proposes calling Durbin's office and urging that Durbin -
as chair of the Constitution subcommittee of the Sen. Intelligence Cmte
- raise at least these four specific questions:

   1- How many civilians have US drone strikes killed in Pakistan, and
why has this number been classified?
        (Naiman mentioned that he'd learned last year that such a count
*is* being kept, *and* that it is classified, from Richard Hoagland of
the US Embassy in Pakistan.)

   2- Is it true that the US has performed *secondary strikes* in
Pakistan?   (... where a strike at some site is followed, after other
unknown people have arrived to help those hurt, by a second strike)
Hoagland told them that this is not happening, but mainstream press
reports allege that it has on a number of occasions.   It would be a
clear war crime, if true.

   3- Is it true - as reported in the NYTimes last May - that the CIA
counts any military-aged male killed by a drone strike as a presumed
militant?    (Sen. Feinstein, chair of the full Intelligence Cmte, later
claimed she was unaware of such a report.)   If this is true, what does
it mean for the estimates of civilians killed?

   4- What fraction of those killed by drone strikes in Pakistan have
been high-level militants?
   (The strikes' stated purpose had been to kill specifically those
people.  Yet other estimates (including from the Knuckey and Sonnenberg
report, http://www.livingunderdrones.org/report/ and detailed reporting
from the Bureau of Investigative Journalism such as this,
<http://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/2013/04/02/march-2013-update-us-covert-actions-in-pakistan-yemen-and-somalia/>
suggest only about 2% of the 2500-3500 people killed by US drone strikes
since 2004 were high level militants.  Some 10-30% of those killed were
reported to be civilians, including 5% children.)

Durbin's office phone numbers -
    Washington, DC:   202-224-2152.   or if that's busy, you can also
call his...
Springfield, IL:  217-492-4062.