[Peace-discuss] 1, 2, many FAAs: let's ask Congress to protect cancer clinics

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Mon Apr 29 23:31:17 UTC 2013

So far, the following have gotten sequester fixes: the Pentagon, aid to
Israel, meat inspectors/agribusiness, air traffic controllers/airlines.

It seems to me that the more fixes there are, the more ridiculous the whole
Obama strategy of torturing the public with sequester into accepting Social
Security cuts in the Grand Bargain looks. The more exceptions, the more
ridiculous the "across the board" story appears.

So it's in the interest of the masses that there be as many exceptions as
possible.

Therefore, as soon as anyone comes up with a plausible story for an
exception, everyone should pile on. Meat inspectors! Absolutely! Air
traffic controllers! Absolutely!

In this light, I offer you: cancer clinics.

Cancer clinics: Our cuts from sequester needed earlier remedy than FAA’s
http://thehill.com/blogs/healthwatch/medicare/296509-cancer-clinics-our-cuts-from-sequester-needed-earlier-remedy-than-faas

A particular argument for it: the big picture story was supposed to be that
the sequester was supposed to exempt Medicare and Medicaid beneficiaries.
But apparently cancer treatment has turned out to be an exception, because
of the way Medicare decided to calculate the cut to providers in this case.

A second argument: making people go to hospitals instead of clinics costs
the government more money.

Here is an alert
http://www.communityoncology.org/site/blog/detail/2013/04/29/send-congress-a-message-you-fixed-flight-delays-now-save-cancer-care.html

--